How to Play You Got The Love by Rufus on guitar

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by D4V3?, Mar 11, 2015.

1. D4V3?

D4V3? Member

I've always LOVED this song and was so stoked to do it in a band a few years back. It was a challenge for me to learn, and it didn't come easy. Then this morning I found this instructional video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/OvGv9Pvl2Yw

I left this in the comments:

Back in 2011 I was in a band and we wanted to do this song. I had a hell of time trying to figure out the guitar riff. I searched You Tube for "How to play You Got The Love by Rufus." Nothing came up, just links to some Florence + the Machine song. I googled high and low for guitar tabs, and got nothing. Finally, with nowhere else to turn, desperate, I sat down and tried playing along to the Rufus recording. It sounded like crap. I did it again. I did it over and over. I recorded myself playing the riff. I didn't sound right. I recorded myself playing along to the recording, and it still didn't sound right. But I listened to what sounded right and where it sounded wrong. Eventually, after practicing it over and over, fast and slow, bit by bit, I nailed it. Probably can't play it as smoothly as MugenBlasters here, but my chord voicings and muted funk strumming rhythms are the same, and in the context of my band we absolutely killed this song live. The moral of the story: sometimes you can't have everything spoon-fed to you over the Internet, or have a teacher show you where to put your fingers. Sometimes you just have to do whatever it takes in order to learn to play something that you really want to play.

Having said all that WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU IN 2011 WHEN I NEEDED YOU!!!

No seriously, MugenBlaster. Great job, and thank you so much for posting this. You are a gifted player and a generous person to share this.

2. RLD

RLD Member

Why not learn it from the man who wrote and played it?
    @ about 29:00 he talks about it and plays it.

3. custom53

custom53 Member

Love that song.. "Mother's Finest" played here years ago at a local club and covered that song.. Probably the best version I have ever heard..

4. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

This song was in my Ensemble repertoire back in school. Awesome tune!

5. Reddog

Reddog Member

Okay, I had to learn this song while playing with a funk band a couple years back. I found MugenBlasters video above but I felt he wasn't playing it absolutely correct (though he seemed to be playing it mostly correct). I had been looking forever to find video of Ray Parker Junior doing it but I never came across the above video. There is also a live video of Chaka Khan doing this song in concert and her guitarist did it a little differently (see below). It is now great to see Ray doing it - thanks for sharing that (however, like most really good rhythm guitarists, it doesn't look like he should be getting all those sounds doing it the way he does...;)). I have real trouble keeping that constant scratchy "chinka chinka" sound going while playing those runs and I wonder how he is doing that. Anyway, the most profound observation I could make about Ray's video above is how laid back all those guys are. Now THAT's how you do it!