1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to pronounce...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by jcground, Oct 19, 2005.

1. jcground

jcground Member

So many knowledgeable people here, I figured I'd throw these out since I've heard them all pronounced several ways, and I've always kinda wondered what's correct...

Suhr ... (I'm embarrassed about this one since I know John himself posts here)

Hamer ... (I've heard hay-mer and hammer)

I could start a similar thread about amps... Koch, Fuchs, and others have all been colorfully pronounced. And of course there's the PRS pronounciation of piezo (Paul Smith himself pronounces the first syllable like the dessert, but when I was taking physics in college it was always pee-ay-zo, as in the quartz bits inside the pickup that produce electricity when they vibrate or get compressed).

Sorry to be an ignoramus about the guitar names. Just wondered the right way to say 'em. :)

2. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

Hamer is Hay-mer as for Suhr I thought it was sir but others more knowledgable would be better suited to answer the suhr question.

3. jcground

jcground Member

Thanks Mike,

"Sir" is what I've always said, kinda like Big Sur in California, but I've heard other people say it more like "Sure".

(For what it's worth, I'm one of the people who has said "hammer" for all these years.)

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Suhr = Sir

Hamer = Hay-mer

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

How about D'Addario?!! How many times do you hear people pronounce it Dee-Adario?!! IT'S DA-DARIO!!!! It amazes me how many, especially those in the guitar business, mispronounce it. Please help me in changing this flagrant and annoying abuse of their good name. ;) ;) AC

6. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

And why do people call Ed Roman "Lucky Charms"? :confused:

7. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Maybe because you need Lucky Charms to deal with him? Just guessing from things I've heard.:D

8. dookie

dookie Member

Suhr is pronounced "Sir"...

They answer their phone "Sir guitars"...:dude

9. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

How about Godin?

God-in
    Go-din
    French sounding Go-dan

I have no idea.

10. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

if you think that's difficult try
    pronouncing the name of this Welsh town:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

11. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

as for Piezo, i've heard 'pie-zo' 'pee-zo' and 'pee-ay-zo'...I've always said the latter.

I always called Hamer 'hammer' or 'hahmer' because I figured it was some sort of root of hammer, but I've heard more dealers refer to it as 'haymer' than anything else. If you look up the last name in ancestry.com it says on all accounts 'hammer' is the pronunciation, although there are of course accounts where the person's last name who owns the company isn't pronounced the same as the company itself. ie. Moog

Fuchs = Few-cks

Koch I think is like the old mayor...Kah-tch...

I always said Go-din, but I can easily see 'Go-dan' if they are feeling French...

12. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

New-clear or nuke-ur-lar...

13. jcground

jcground Member

Moog (both Dr. Bob and the company that bore his name) rhymes with rogue. In fact, they made a synth by that name to be catchy. As you say, it's commonly mispronounced to remind you of what a cow says. I can't remember how the hockey player pronounced his name.

Similar to the Moog Rogue, Hamer made a guitar called the Hamer Slammer. A friend of mine pointed out that "Haymer Slammer" sounds funny. I would have figured the gimmick was that they rhymed.

Koch amps are from the Netherlands. Chiba explained the pronounciation to me, but I can't think of a good way to write it phonetically. It's pronounced with a soft "ch" at the end. It's not like the former mayor of New York's last name, nor is it like a male chicken. It's "ko...<sound of softly trying to hoc a loogie>"

Sorry to ramble in small company luthiers. I guess I should have parked this in general discussion. :eek:

14. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i believe thats because he looks like a ****ing leprachaun???

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

That is classic. :D

16. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Moog also made the Mooger Fooger...That leads one to believe moooooooog is the instrument. I've never heard anything otherwise from anyone. This includes folks who have spoken with Bob on a personal basis.

17. jcground

jcground Member

Actually, I have spoken with Bob Moog on a personal basis. He was a visiting lecturer at RPI when I was in graduate school. At the time, he was getting electrical engineers psyched about theremins, which he was working on at Big Briar (now renamed Moog Music).

I wanted to meet him, since we had a Moog modular synth at American University, where I got my undergraduate degree in Audio Technology.

Of the names on the list, I'm sure about that one. :)

18. dookie

dookie Member

Actually, it was Johnson that sent us... Nixon escalated it...

19. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

Piezo has three syllables. I believe that "pee-AY-zo" is the most correct pronunciation (from its Greek origin), but the dictionary I checked also lists "pie-EE-zo".

Moogerfooger, Hamer Slammer... I have a product called the Piezo Gizmo, which would make more sense if piezo were pronounced PIE-zo or PEE-zo. At least I'm in good company. :p

Godin is located in Quebec, so I've always assumed it was pronounced go-DAN.

20. dookie

dookie Member

Mmmmmm.... Pepperoni, mushroom, and jalapeno pie-ee-za sounds yummy...

I'm getting hungry, goDAN it!!!:D