How to Properly Ship a Les Paul for Dummies!

Mickey_C

1.428571428571429e-10 of humanity
Double Platinum Member
So is this how you do it?

o_O

If I sent you these pictures, you'd feel super relieved about my packing skills right?

Come-on, tell me what you really think...

theon

Silver Supporting Member
That's definitely not how you do it!
If someone sent me those pics i would say, " Call when you pull up because i know you don't plan to ship that."

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Unfortunately I've seen worse! Try just cardboard taped around the case! Luckily it got to me in perfect condition.

lessthan12

not as bad as I received 2 months ago, Bought a Double cutaway Standard plus in green off eBay. Grab the makeshift box the guy made from the fedex man and can feel the case flopping inside of it. Open up the cardboard box and the case was just loose inside this way oversize cardboard box with absolutely NO pacing material lol. I was surprised when I opened it up that the headstock hadn't snapped off. He lied about the condition so I ended up sending it back, packed exactly the way he sent it to me as per bay's instruction

fenderjapan

WCW World Heavyweight Champion
Gold Supporting Member
Step 1: Disregard headstock
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Insurance claim

Mickey_C

Double Platinum Member
The most important thing is that the guitar doesn't move inside the case.

My R7 arrived like this.
People are bastards.

The advantage of this over the OP method, is that at least they can guess there's a guitar inside. The OP posted box they'd probably think it's a lawn blower or something.

I've never had a polygonal package arrive undamaged. Maybe because...

1. They roll off the conveyor belts
2. They don't stack well
3. They don't sit well on dollys or other transport items
4. They annoy the hell out of the workers who load them in the trucks

Pack it as if you were shipping it across the continent to yourself.
I would ammend that with ... "pack it as if you were shipping it across the continent to yourself via an army of gorillas".

Last edited:

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
The most important thing is that the guitar doesn't move inside the case.

My R7 arrived like this.
People are bastards.

I'm really surprised that you didn't get a Epi, some other LP clone or find it empty. You seriously lucked out!

Mickey_C

Double Platinum Member
How does Gibson ship them from the factory?
In durable boxes that suspend the guitar case in the middle, but they ship them in quantities, with a number of those boxes plastic wrapped on a pallet, and the shipper knows they're dealing with a huge customer account, so they are processed with the care due a multi-million dollar account.

If you're shipping a guitar to a residence, I'd still take the factory gibson box and put it bubble-wrapped in a bigger box. I've received guitars shipped in just those factory cartons with snapped headstocks, or cracked from the headstock down along the fretboard. Obviously if you are shipping overnight or 2nd day and insuring full amount, they are very careful, and that factory carton is fine, with the guitar properly packed in the case (same as below).

To pack properly for fedex or ups ground, I'd pack the guitar in the case (loosen the strings, wrap the headstock in bubble wrap, put bubble wrap under the neck, and newspaper under the strings, the key being preventing the guitar from sloshing around). Put the case in a good interior suspense carton (like the factory gibson, taylor, or martin boxes) or put it in bubble wrap in a box, then bubble wrap that box, and put that box in a bigger outside box, with no flop inside. You can even use peanuts in the outer box, if it's a durable box and you have styrofoam corners. Otherwise bubble it! The inner box in an outer box is required for safe shipping.

Fedex and UPS will not honor claims if there's less than 3" of packing. They probably do with direct from gibson due to a special arrangement with them - but gibson ships a hundred thousand guitars a year, and you and I ship maybe 10?

Pack it like you're the one who is going to receive it.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Silver Supporting Member
When I worked at a vintage dealer we sold a very rare Rickenbacker prototype that had some sort of christmas lights under the pickguard (ugly as hell, imo) and it sold for huge money to a collector in the bay area.

He shipped us a military spec trunk with an encompassing crate to ship the guitar in. Well, it was packed liked the holy grail. A few days after shipping out we received pics from the buyer at UPS (he refused local drop off) and it looked like the box was dropped off a cliff!! It was insane. The guitar itself was busted but just a bit..the pickguard had come loose stripping all the screws and a bit cracked up. But, when it's a one of a kind guitar that's enough to infuriate anyone.

This is how you ship a guitar:

or, maybe voodoo, or prayer, or whatever you need.

I HATE shipping stuff no matter how well packed or insured.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Here is what I used to do for a Les Paul, but now a days... I'll just get an acoustic guitar box and put extra padding around the case. It has to have just a little give if dropped hard, but not enough that the case makes hard contact with the cardboard. The other thing IMO is avoid using UPS for any thing you care about.

I pad the bottom of the guitar too and remove the strap button (so it won't punch through the case if it's the UPS guy above ^ doing the delivery ) :red

Trending Topics