How to remove broken tremolo arm end from block?

Free

I'd appreciate advice with this. And, I'd really like to be able to take out the broken piece (broke at about 1/4" down the hole in trem block) without taking out the block again, with all the trouble and re-setup that entails. Thanks much!

Vintage-tone

most of the time you gotta drill it and put a pigtail special screw in it to remove it.
Pretty tricky .
If it s an old block pre die cast Fender, take it to a repairman.
If it s nothing special get a replacement, Callaham etc imo

gkoelling

There's some type of tool called an easy-out. Mechanics use them when a screw breaks off. I imagine you'd find one at an auto parts store?

Otherwise, yeah, buy a new block.

Good luck

LZ_69

Along with easy outs they also make left hand drill bits that when you're drilling will have a tendency to back the screw out.

Free

Along with easy outs they also make left hand drill bits that when you're drilling will have a tendency to back the screw out.

Thanks, LZ. By left hand, that means the bit is designed to be used with the drill rotating backwards?

Ya gotta remember, that hole is NOT drilled straight into the block. It's drilled at a slight angle, and there mat be a spring underneath that broken piece. Callaham has a pretty good little write-up on this. It's pretty easy to mess up the block...

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
I did one back in the 80's with a drill bit and easy out.
It was easy to do.
A tech would maybe do it while you wait if you hit him at a good time thoiugh as it
doesn't take very long.

alvagoldbook

ouch! that's a nasty repair to have to attend to. all I can say is good luck. I've never kept my tremolo arms in my bridge blocks for that very reason. I have an old 70's Fender strat copy from Japan. It's one of those worthless pieces that for me just plays like a dream. When I got it it had the worse sounding thinnest single coils I've ever heard. the bridge was blocked somehow and the tremolo arm was broken off inside. The screws that kept the bridge in were completely stripped as well. I ended up having to use a wrench to get the things out. I ended up completely gutting the guitar until nothing was left but the neck and body, and replaced everything with Fender reissue stuff. It plays like a dream now, and is one of my go-to guitars.

playon

Silver Supporting Member
Take it to a local auto machine shop, & have the guy easy-out it for ya. Probably cost $5 if the guy is cool. I had a mechanic in a gas station do one for me once, it came out perfect without messing up the threads.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom