How to remove finish from a Fender Road Worn Neck...Help!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RadioRadio, Dec 26, 2009.

1. RadioRadio

RadioRadio Member

I want to remove the finish from my Fender Road Worn Tele's maple neck. I love the guitar but HATE the goofy nonsensical wear patterns on the board. Any tips on how to successfully remove the finish on the board so I can let it age naturally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. RadioRadio

RadioRadio Member

3. PanaDP

PanaDP Member

Remove the frets, sand it, refret it.

4. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

scotch brite pad, remove the neck, take ur time, I reliced a Tele like that still have it
    I had a road worn tele , loved the neck but the look of the maple neck was stupid lookin to me

5. phil esposito

phil esposito Member

Anybody had any success with this?

6. DGrig

DGrig Member

I just used a fret file on the sharp fret ends of my tele and rubbed micro mesh from StewMac all over the neck. It didn't scour the finish from the board aggressively but after wiping it down with 1500 griit all the way to 12,000 the fretboard played better than my Am. Standard Strat! A friend came over and tried it out for the first time and he couldn't put it down. You could do scotchbrite but the micro mesh is pretty gentle so there is less chance of taking too making a permanent mar on the finish. Amazon sells micro mesh but at 1/2 the amount of sheets for less than 1/2 the cost at Stew Mac. One sheet can be used on multiple guitars.

7. Steve55

Steve55 Silver Supporting Member

I've always used 000 or 0000 steel wool on the back of my poly-coated or lacquer necks with great results. Probably a helluva lot cheaper than micro mesh (although I've never tried it, so can't speak for comparative results). Just make sure you remove the neck from the guitar or tape up the pickups.

8. phil esposito

phil esposito Member

Did it take the silly looking finish pattern off the fretboard?

9. DGrig

DGrig Member

Well... Yes and no. What I mean is that when I did my maple fretboard last night but I wasn't trying to take all of the finish off of the neck but I'm sure it could. I think what I need to explain is that the micro mesh is the best sand paper I've ever used on a guitar. 0000 steel wool is good to but I find the mm to leave a superior finish. The mm can remove material but the overall result is made greater by using each successive grit all the way to 12,000. The tactile sensations I get when playing the fretboard is THE BEST I have ever felt. There is no perceivable stiction on the gack of the neck, the fret ends are highly polished and and smooth from the first fret to the last, and the fretboard feels as flat and smooth as a piece of glass. It's fast and I can't find anything on the neck that would get in the way of my playing. My friend and I both sat down with the tele I worked on and we both agreed that it had better playability than my Am. Strat even though the strat had a better, fuller neck. Scotchbrite would work but the finish mm leaves is the real magic of using that stuff. $20-$25 at Amazon will get you a set. That's not a bad price for a lifetime spent with a smooth, wonderful guitar neck.

phil esposito likes this.
  10. splatter

splatter Supporting Member

If it’s poly ur gonna have to sand it or heat it to peal it off