how to remove sandpaper scratch on nitro ???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by funkychicken70, Feb 28, 2015.

1. funkychicken70

funkychicken70 Member

hello !
    I buy second hand a 2013 gibson r9 vos . The first buyer sanded all the guitar lightly with sandpaper ( to relic it ??? holy bastard ...). It is awful when you look close ....
    I buy virtuoso cleaner and polish, but the scratches are too deep to disepear this way !
    any chance to remove those scratches ???
    if you have a link for a tuto, or explain me ...

anyway i buy the guitar because it sounds so good !!!! i want to keep it !!!

2. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

You will need to sand out the scratches with progressively finer papers and then buff out the surface. I would recommend starting at say a 400 grit and you will need to finish with a grit that your polishing compound will remove. Novus #2 is a good polish for this and for that you need to sand out to 1200-1500.

3. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

If they already sanded it, I would try starting with 1500 grit. Try it in a spot and polish. If you start too low of a grit, there may not be enough lacquer to not burn through.

4. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

5. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

Excellent advice so far. My pair of pennies is only worth one cent, but here is my advice.

Select your abrassive very carefully.

Soapy water / wet sanding works remarkably better than dry.

Do not start with a low grit - it will cut through before you realize that it is too aggressive.

If yet expect a gloss, you will be disappointed. If you seek a gloss, have the top refinished completely. In fact... seek a pro. There are tons of pros out there and no, I am not one of them. Nitro intimidate me to no end... I use PreCat Lacq's and Poly.

6. funkychicken70

funkychicken70 Member

thanks guys !!!

1500 will be a good start, .... i will try it wet !
    but i don't know where i can find sandpaper up to 8000 and more !!! ...
    maybe stewmac pad is ok for this job.

7. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

If it is lacquer, you need not go that high. When I do urethane, I only go to 2000.

8. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I finished an entire guitar with a set of the small pads.

If you're looking local, check out an auto parts store. Much more likely to have the higher numbered stuff.

9. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

You can get up to 2000 grit or so at an auto parts store that specializes in auto paint also. Try 3M Finnesse it on your final polish. Works wonderful. Not cheap though.
    I've seen guitars that people try to make satin by using 0000 grit steel wool... what a mess....

10. funkychicken70

funkychicken70 Member

thanks guys ! now i see the light !!!

11. funkychicken70

funkychicken70 Member

12. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

The problem is that you dont know how much CC was removed by the previous owner. Painting is basically shooting just enough CC on the guitar that it can be sanded flat. The issue is:

The factory sanded off CC
    The 'guy' sanded off CC
    You will be sanding off CC

I imagine you will burn through if you attempt this. Also 'wet sanding' only keeps your paper from loading BUT is more aggressive than dry sanding. The end results will be identical however. Straingly the DIY home guitar finish community has adapted wet sanding as the 'end all be all' even though the guitar factories dont wet sand.

It is my recommendation that the entire guitar is scuffed and shot with sufficient CC build, leveled and buffed to finish to return it to a factory appearance without the very real risk of burning.

Good luck,

~JH