How to remove tuner ferrules from a vintage fender neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by el duderino, Feb 27, 2012.

1. el duderino

el duderino Member

I got tired of the A width neck on my 64 musicmaster so I bought a 65 B width neck for it and I just got it today! I am trying to swap over the tuners from the 64 to the 65 and the ferrules around the tuners don't seem to want to come out. I was wondering if there are any tricks to get them out? I don't want to screw anything up, and there must be an easier way than a screwdriver and a hammer haha. Any advice?

2. russ

russ Supporting Member

I would wiggle them out with a tapered reamer.

3. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

4. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I normally get in behind them with something that is the same size as the hole, like a dowel.
    If it doesn't have enough of a lip to catch from behind, I get beneath the front of them with a razor blade.
    I don't know if this would work but it might be worth a try, if you can heat the wood with a hair dryer then hold ice to the actual ferrule the ferrule might contract enough to make it a little easier to remove without chipping the face of the headstock.

5. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Yes, tapping w/ a hammer & dowel from underneath.

6. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Heat them up with your solderin' iron, and tap gently with hammer and dowel. Be sure to support the headstock completely! You can take a razor knife and scribe around the ferrules, and with that and the heat their should be minimal finish damage.

7. wemedge

wemedge Member

I keep my Chinese takeout wooden chopsticks for this purpose in lieu of dowels. They're tapered, so they'll go in until they're snug within the bushings and won't hurt the ferrules. That gives me a firm grip on the bushing with no wiggle.

After that I can usually just push the bushings out. Just a firm grip with a piece of leather, or a very gentle tap with a small mallet.

Of course, it won't help if your local Chinese takeout uses plastic sporks.

Edit... I just re-read the OP. I would not touch vintage neck with my ham-fisted method.

8. el duderino

el duderino Member

Great advice! I made it to the hardware store before they closed and got them out with a dowel. Now just have to take it in for a setup and I will be ready to rock!

9. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

You tackle a job like yanking ferrules and replacing tuners but don't do your own setups....... ??

hmmmmmmmm......

10. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Damn, their egg foo young noodles must look like garter snakes if their chopsticks are that stout.
    Could you use them as drum sticks?

11. el duderino

el duderino Member

Yeah, I would rather just take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Got everything put back together and there is a dead spot across all of the strings on the 5th fret, might need frets leveled too

12. Copper_Head

Copper_Head Supporting Member

I drill a hole just larger than the bushing, in a 2x4. As others have stated I heat them first, then push them out using a piece of drill rod chucked in my drill press. The drill press gives you a lot of force that that is easily controllable, and you can feel what's going on, unlike wailing away with a hammer. (shudder)

13. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I have never seen one where they are in so tight you need to "wail away" with a hammer.
    Generally they pop right out with a very gentle tap.
    The problem with them isn't that they are in so tight, normally the problem is that they are just a bit awkward to work with. They need to move straight through the hole. Kind of like how gears are not on spline shafts all that tight, it is just that you need a gear puller to keep them level while pulling them off.
    If the ferrule can be moved straight out of the hole it is easy. If it wobbles side to side it will bind up.
    The drill press thing is a good idea if you ever get some that someone has used some space age glue on.

14. tracye

tracye New Member

Find a socket wrench set, and use a socket that is just the right size. Put the socket into the hole, against the bushing. Hit it with a hammer.

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I say, find another set of vintage ferrules.

The soldering iron trick works well, but I wouldn't. The person you sell the neck to will need ferrules, or someday you'll be reselling the guitar and it might have better provenance with the original neck.

16. Copper_Head

Copper_Head Supporting Member

Hi Boris!!!
    Long time, no argue! (j/k) ;-P
    How's it been going?

17. abqtsxr

abqtsxr Member

Replacing tuners can be tricky, but it's not rocket science. Setting up a guitar takes specific skills, measurements, and knowledge. Perhaps next time someone requests help, you can post a constructive remark.....

18. abqtsxr

abqtsxr Member

You've read all the replies here - there are several approaches, but tapping or pressing them out from the back is your best bet, and be sure to support the face and finish to avoid chipping. If they're really tight, you can use a rod or screwdriver to loosen them up from the front with a rocking, rotating motion. Here's a uTube post that shows how to do this.

Good luck!

19. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

I heat em up with my soldering iron a little bit and they slide right out.