How to remove VOS finish from Gibson?

nbtrue

I'm curious if the VOS finish can be removed, and if so, how to do it. I've googled this and found mixed info, although generally it sounds like it can be done with a little bit of polish and elbow grease. So I guess what I'm actually curious about is if anyone has actually done it, how they did it, and how it looked after. Or any other info. Thanks.

jimmyj

I also did the Virtuoso cleaner on a VOS cherry Les Paul Special. It worked great. If I remember correctly it didn't require an unusual amount of polishing either.

deadbeat son

I used virtuoso polish & cleaner on my R8. I didn't use too much elbow grease because my goal was somewhere in between that of the stock VOS and gloss finishes. It worked for me.

59burst

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm curious if the green effect of the binding on the black '54 and '57 LP Customs can be removed so they are much more white/yellow.

sliberty

I haven't actually seen that, so I can't be sure. But I will tell you that the pink bindings on some VOS Specials are not the result of the VOS treatment. It is actually the binding itself. So if the green bindings you are talking about are similar, the answer would be no.

Da Geezer

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone used a light polishing compound such as Maguires scratch x with good success?
When I buffed up my '91 Martin D16H with satin finish, I just went to the auto finishing store and bought a bottle of very light grit buffing compound....worked perfectly, but that was 25 years ago when things weren't as readily available as today.
I suspect the Maguires would work fine....but why not just order the right stuff? Nowadays you can get anything for rock bottom prices in just a few days (Amazon, eBay, etc)

G

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Has anyone used a light polishing compound such as Maguires scratch x with good success?

I've seen people with good results and after pics on forums using that and certain compound formulas too.

The Virtuoso is just very easy.
I got mine on Reverb with free shipping for $10.95.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
I haven't actually seen that, so I can't be sure. But I will tell you that the pink bindings on some VOS Specials are not the result of the VOS treatment. It is actually the binding itself. So if the green bindings you are talking about are similar, the answer would be no.
I would also think the binding is colored that way.

59burst

Platinum Supporting Member
here's an example: http://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-custom-shop/1954-reissue-les-paul-custom-gloss/

I have one of these, and it is a killer axe, but the yellow/green binding color really looks weird to me. maybe I'll try chipping the finish somewhere to see if the binding underneath is white or not ...

nbtrue

Thanks for all the replies. I just bought some Virtuoso cleaner and polish and will give that a try. Thanks again!!

zeffbeff

Is the VOS a satin finish?

My les Paul trad came with a satin finish on the neck and back. It ain't satin anymore. It glossed up nicely just from playing it a lot.

sws1

I got the VOS junk off the back of the neck using a simple rag and Dunlop guitar polish. The stuff which adds shine, not anything aggressive. It still had a quasi-dull look, but it no longer felt tacky.

GazzaBloom

I have just bought a 2016 Standard Historic R8 VOS and the VOS treatment is nothing like it was on my 2007 R9, there is no 'gunk' as such like there was on the 2007 more just a wearing of the finish to give it a very very slightly aged look, plus the metal parts are aged but not with gunk, just a dulled finish.

It's a much more subtle and realist effect now.

Trending Topics