How to resolve finger noise? Not string noise

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Doctor Morbius, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

I primarily use flatwounds on my guitars so this isn't about string noise. Rather when I lift my fingers from the strings.

How does one lift their fingers from the strings quickly without getting unwanted noise coming through the amp?

2. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

When I'm playing, my right hand is muting strings. Sometimes it's just my palm, sometimes I'm using my middle, ring, and pinky to mute individual strings as I play around them. It's a conscious effort at first, but after awhile, you don't even think about it.

Even then, there's always going to be a little noise sometimes. No one's perfect. ;)

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Flatwounds and it still bugs you?
    Have teacher check your technique, otherwise I think you will have to endure it.

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

First off, this is a normal part of progressing as a guitar player. Newbies don't notice these little things

its a challenge, and one that makes a big difference. I use a combination of both hands to mute strings. At times I lay a left hand finger across the strings to mute them, when that's not possible I use right hand fingers. With fast passages it's less critical, with slow passages it takes patience and practice.