How to run keyboard through pedalboard for recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by más_fuerte, Jan 15, 2015.

1. más_fuerte

más_fuerte Supporting Member

Hey guys, our band will be doing some recording soon and I'd like to run my keyboard through my pedalboard to get some cool sounds. Can I do this using a midi controller? If so, how would the signal chain be set up?

Currently, I'm using an M-Audio Keystation 88 midi controller, Tascam US-1800 interface, and Logic on a Macbook Pro.

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would you need a MIDI controller? Just plug the keys into the pedalboard and the pedalboard into the interface.

3. más_fuerte

más_fuerte Supporting Member

Well, the only keyboard I have is a USB midi controller that doesn't have a 1/4 in output. The only output is USB -> keyboard.

4. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Good question. You'd probably have to find a way to use the 1/4 on your interface for the in/out and route the pedal board like an effects bus.

5. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

I used to use the IK Multimedia iStomp for this purpose. Now I use the 1/8" in on a cheap-y Zoom pedal I use mostly for volume and the occasional wah.

Interface out to IK box. Done.

6. minty901

minty901 Member

i do the exact same thing you want to do. so, i use midi keyboard to control ik sampletank. i set that to mono using the stereo spreader plugin. then that outputs from my audio interface, the roland duo capture ex (its a headphone stereo out but it works fine putting mono 1/4" in there). then that goes into an a/b switcher (by Nose, though i dont recommend that company due to terrible customer service) where my guitar and keyboard inputs can be selected. then through the board.

one thing to note with this setup is that if you have the laptop plugged in and your pedals plugged in youre very likely to get ground loop problems. should be sorted by getting a hum eliminator box like the behringer hd400.