How to sell a high end guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by metropolis_4, Oct 17, 2019.

1. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Howdy y'all,

I made a HUGE mistake last month. On a whim I bought an EBMM Majesty Monarchy. Loved it at first, but after about a week the honeymoon wore off and I realized it was a massive mistake... :(

Amazing guitar, but not at all what I need right now.

I need to sell it quick, but I've never tried selling a guitar this expensive. Any tips or pointers you guys can give me?

Where is the best place to sell something like this these days? eBay? Reverb? other?

What sort of "tricks" and other problems do I need to watch out for?

Is there a big difference in what level of detail/scrutiny people expect for a guitar like this compared to, say, an American Fender?

Thanks!

2. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

"Sell it quick" is only going to happen if you really undersell yourself.

Don't forget that if you use E-Bay or Reverb, they will take a cut of your sale, when you sell it. I would put it up on Craigslist and Reverb and see where the chips fall.

Selling sucks these days. I'm only being honest. Especially high end stuff. Those guitars aren't rare, and can be found at any big box store, so people buying used will expect a really good price, I think. Sorry for the downer.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Sell it for price that the next guy can buy and resell for no significant difference i.e. used market value.
    Stuff that is marked down to a level at which one can buy and then resell without a big risk sells well, imo.
    YOU, however will not like it.:oops:

kevin hart, MaxTwang and Old Guy like this.
  4. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

Bought it last month? Are you still within the return period allowed? I know some people feel that's taking advantage of the return policy, but hey, it's there for a reason and they must account for buyers regret. I would do that vs. trying to resell if at all possible.

5. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Ouch. This is likely going to be an expensive lesson. GLWTS, OP

6. Presc

Presc Member

I think you have to first recognize that there will be a smaller buyer universe, and it may take more time.

To get best value, you need to give people the details needed to convince them it’s in like-new condition.

Good pictures, with detail of the frets etc. Clear description including weight. And everything needs to read clearly and look professional - it might not be an accurate stereotype, but I don’t want to buy a high-end product from someone who can’t spell properly in the description or has a messy living room in the background of their pictures.

7. Swami Asango

Swami Asango Member

return it, buy another expensive guitar from the same shop and everything will be fine.
    otherwise, you might lose 30 - 50% of what you paid for the guitar, after a month, who needs that.

:boxer

8. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

i dont envy your position at all. the type of buyer that youll attract is the worst kind- theyll probably exchange dozens of emails with you expecting you to treat them like theyre negotiating the purchase of a yacht. youll need to discuss 'deadspots' on the neck, what type of solos feel best on it, how the finish looks indoors v outdoors, etc.

out of curiosity- are you selling it quick bc youve already impulse bought another expensive guitar and thats the real reason for the 'the honey moon is over' line?
    i have a feeling thats the case.

DiPa, EliasX, Jabberwocky and 2 others like this.
  9. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

also, no feet, please.

10. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

also make sure if youre squatting while taking the pic we cant see your balls reflected in the pickup covers.

fool me once...

11. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Good luck.
    My son just went through trying to sell a couple of caparisons, and that market is a whole lot of guys who wish they had the money, but don't.

A lot of, ad says "No trades"
    I'll trade you my epiphone les paul and 300 cash

12. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Whatever you do, don’t mention the weight in your ad, and if anyone asks, ignore them. Anyone who asks about the weight of a guitar is just a “tire kicker” and tire kickers never buy.

Hey, I learned that here on TGP.

DiPa, El Rey, mikeratan00 and 15 others like this.
  13. mustachio

mustachio Supporting Member

Just got off of Reverb. Tire Kickers, opportunists, they only accept PayPal now (which I hate) and fees. Plus, Etsy bought them out. Most states charge online tax even if it’s a private sale. Yeah, selling high end stuff is tricky unless you take a bath.

14. mschafft

mschafft Member

DO mention the weight and people won't ask any questions about it...

slowerhand, flysky578, AaeCee and 9 others like this.
  15. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

I recommend making a post on a popular guitar forum pretending to ask for advice while in effect advertising the guitar. Good luck!

Toffo, idiotwind, Bryan T and 13 others like this.
  16. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

looks like they're selling for around 2k on Ebay. it's not an in-demand guitar. just face that you're going to take a bath, cut your losses, and learn from this mistake.

and FWIW, they don't really consider this high-end here ;)

17. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Cant you still return it to the shop where you got it?

Maybe with just a small restocking fee?

If not, wow are you going to take a beating. I wish there was some advice that would
    help- but you just should bite the bullet and sell it on ebay or Reverb.

That is about the only choice there is for a fast sale.

mschafft likes this.
  18. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

One other question, why do you have to sell it QUICK?

19. stonem

stonem Member

I was on an important business call and glanced at this thread while pretending to listen. I read this post and started LOLing. Tried to act like I was coughing but doubt it worked. Thanks alot.

20. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

Tell people that EJ was once in the same city as your guitar and you'll be golden.