How to Service Your Own Tube Amp - Book and Video

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by MikeVB, Feb 21, 2012.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Anyone own and recommend the book and video How to Service Your Own Tube Amp: A Complete Guide for the Curious Musician?

I'm thinking about ordering a copy, but apparently the video is no available. If you have the video is it worth trying to track one down?

Thanks.

2. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

Sounds interesting a video might be better than a book, especially when it comes to the hazards part.

3. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Is this the Tom Mitchell book? I have that one and learned a lot from it. He covers a lot of ground, from transformers to speaker wiring, and even includes some simple mods.

4. offbeat

offbeat Member

The video isn't necessary to get the most from the book.
    The video (if I remember correctly... it's been quite a few years since I watched it) is basically a few quick tricks. He shows you how to check for speaker rub, what resistor it is in a Marshall Super Lead to convert it to a Super Bass (or vice versa), and how to check if a guitar cable is good by holding a 9 volt battery to the sleeve/tip at one end and sticking the other end on your tongue.
    There is a lot of good info in the book, and I still leaf through it on a regular basis. I watched the video once only.

5. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

That's the one.

Good to know about the video.

Thanks guys.

I ordered the dual bias checker from amp head.

Would it have been worth the extra $20 to get the one that measures plate voltages also?