How to set up a boost in loop with 2 amps in stereo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by autonomous, Feb 22, 2012.

1. autonomous

autonomous Member

I have 2 Blackstar amps running in stereo via a stereo chorus. I've always heard that boosts work better thru the loop, but how do I make the connections with 2 amps each with a loop. Thanks, John.

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I dont know anything about Blackstar amps, but generally speaking a boost in the loop would effect the power section, hitting the PI first and increasing volume until it starts to compress/distort, rather than hitting the preamp tubes and creating preamp distortion if the boost were in front.

I don't think your idea can be accomplished without two boosts or a 'stereo' boost.

I would suggest this:

Guitar>boost>amp1, effect send>chorus>effect return on both amps.

Thus the second amp is essentially a power amp slaved by the rest of your rig / first amps preamp. You would also get a nice stereo chorus effect that wouldn't be muddied by a distorted preamp.

3. autonomous

autonomous Member

Thanks, I actually understood that.

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Member

Because you are attempting to drive two different power amps from one of the amp's preamp, you may experience a ground loop/hum in the above suggestion. You may have to isolate one of the amps for this to work.

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Lol - good! Sometimes that sort of uncommon setup is difficult (for me) to describe.

I think that will give you the result you want, if you have a boost, I would try it with one amp, in front, then in the loop and see what you prefer... if you really like it in the loop more, you might need two boosts or a custom build from T1M or something unless you can find a product that matches your needs.

True... I have heard of people getting good results with the suggestion - I actually never owned an amp with an effect loop (I run w/d/w and have done a few stereo rigs, so I have some experience with stereo setups).

Would a solution be a good conditioner or other power source like a Tripp Lite?

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Member

No conditioner will work. You'll need a pedal or something that has a ground lift switch on it. Lift the signal ground NOT the amp ground (i.e. don't use a power plug adapter). Hook it up and try it first. You may not have a problem.

The idea is to get both amps at the same ground potential. Plugging them both into the same power strip might work. On older amps this doesn't always work.

7. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Makes sense... like the ground lift on an H&K Red Box. The Tripp Lite is a Voltage Regulator - like a power strip on steroids. In my w/d/w, I run 3 amps, two off of the first and no real noise issues.