How to slow down any song on YouTube so you can learn the chords or notes easier

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by gunslinger, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

For sure.

Had a few gigs last year and the year before where what was written on a few charts I was given didn't sound right.

So I loaded the tunes into Transcribe! to figure out exactly what was wrong with the charts.

guitarjazz likes this.
  2. Jaguarguy

Jaguarguy Supporting Member

I got this pedal and it works quite nicely!

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Yes! I use ASD but I know Transcribe! is excellent. I store playlists for upcoming gigs. I'm currently trying to prepare over 100 pages of music for three gigs. Fortunately I have audio because these uke chords symbols are meaningless ;)

Bluesful likes this.
  4. JonR

JonR Member

True, but it is free for the first month - at least I think it still is. When I first got it (well over 10 years ago. v.7.0 I think), I just clicked away the warning messages for the second month and carried on. But eventually I realised they well deserved the (cheap) price for registering. I've since got all the upgrades free, of course.
    It's the best program of any kind that I've ever used, because the interface is so transparent, with no (or very few) superfluous bells and whistles. Totally unbloated!

I like Audacity for the same reason, but only for recording (including multitracking and FX) and editing. It's too clunky for learning or transcribing, at least compared with Transcribe.

5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

So you're saying I could have had it for free! ;)

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I have Transcribe! and I like it a lot. I also have Amazing Slow Downer, had it for years and it's good too, but I always found it a bit difficult to work with, could just be me. Transcribe! is much easier to use, for me anyway.

Still, having the ability on Youtube is great too. Especially the jump back function I mentioned previously.

Of course nothing compares to picking up the needle off the LP and dropping it back a few grooves, but those days are gone, whattyagonna do? Just gotta move on! :bonk

guitarjazz likes this.
  7. bloodninja

bloodninja Member

Oh my god, I love you. How did I not know this years ago?

8. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

That YT trick works fine for me. Been using it for a while and fine it very helpful. It's also super funny to use on any vid to make the people sound like :bong:drink

9. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Platonic love, I would guess. I only noticed it relatively recently myself. It's a huge help.

10. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Just ran the UToob at the two speeds under standard, pitch fine.

11. Megatron

Megatron Member

For me, Transcribe! paid for itself, easily.
    Great program.

guitarjazz likes this.
  12. Jon

Jon Member

You can change pitch in much smaller increments than half steps in Transcribe using the Audio Effects & Controls window.

doublescale1 likes this.
  13. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Another method, although a lot more work, is to hit the “watch thread” tab…

14. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Yeah, Duane Allman supposedly picked up the needle with his big toe when he was learning BB licks.

15. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

ronimusic.com (ASD) makes a cool video slow-downer too.

16. JonR

JonR Member

Interesting. I thought only Transcribe did that - although it only works with MP4 or MOV, so youtubes need to be downloaded and converted with other software (not difficult, but a pain considering how easy the program is to use otherwise).
    It does give make manipulating the video easier than youtube does, but I haven't used that function for some time now, and put up with youtube's slight clunkiness when I need video reference.

Does the ASD one work with youtubes? Or only DVDs?

17. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Ultimate DVD Player is a separate from ASD, though it's created by the same folks. "
    Note: This software will playback "DVD-Video" discs, VIDEO_TS folders and VOB files only.
    It currently can NOT play any other file formats such as DivX, Flash, Windows Media Video, QuickTime etc."
    If I really 'want to know a secret' I'll do whatever conversion necessary to take advantage of the software. Most often I'll, gasp, spend money on the orginal DVD (and usually create a VIDEO_TS file on a hard drive).

JonR likes this.
  18. rwmct

rwmct Member

Some versions of Microsoft Media Player will slow a video down while adjusting for pitch. I down load the song or performance from youtube, open it in Media Player, and then use the slow down feature.

On the version I have you open the video in Media Player, right click on it, select "Enhancements" and then "Play Speed". A graph shows up that you can click on how much you want to lower the speed.

I find this works well with video lessons, especially the "play through" part.

I cant see that is does looping, though. That would be very helpful.

I have not tried it with just audio files.

19. BenoA

BenoA Member

I used to use the same setup. Could even slow down video with the proper codecs. But a recent upgrade of hard drive made me lost a bunch of stuff.

I now use Chronotron (windows 10, microsoft store). Works great and let you download videos direct from Youtube.

ProfRhino likes this.
  20. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

:cool:
    :aok Just found out about this a week ago - too cool :dude .

EZ :

HR