How to swap faceplates secured by brad nails?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by stevieraygovan, Apr 25, 2015.

1. stevieraygovan

stevieraygovan Member

I just received a new faceplate logo for my Victoria Golden Melody. I ordered my amp with a lacquered tweed finish, rather than the usual two-tone alligator finish. I wanted the brown 'Victoria' logo, not the black, so Mark shipped me a replacement logo and six brad nails. My question is how do I remove the current logo, which is secured by four brad nails. Those things have no threads, the heads are so tiny that no normal tool can grab them, and I definitely don't want to mar the tweed finish or the original black faceplate.

What's the procedure for removing those brad nails from the face of a tweed amp?

2. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Not easy.

Only way I see is to slip ***very*** carefully a knife blade between the logo and the tolex/tweed/grill cloth and push old logo plate out.

Back side of blade will push against a covering material area which anyway will be hidden by the new plate.

That said, an added complication is that nails are iron made and the plate is probably thin anodized aluminum, so the nail head can easily tear the hole open.

Worst case, consider the black plate as disposable, pamper the tweed and the new one.

Ask Mark what does he suggest.

3. wyatt

wyatt Member

On tweed style cabinets, sometimes you can take off the speaker baffle and get the brad started from the inside.

4. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Sometimes its best to leave things be

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i would try and lift the head of the brad and then grab that with some fret nippers or something similar and pull em strait out..

6. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

try to slip under the old logo with a 6" drywall knife. it should give you enough oomph to pop the old nails out.