How to swap out pickups and pots on a semi-hollow?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rcfs1834, Aug 8, 2006.

1. rcfs1834

rcfs1834 Member

Are there any online resources on how to swap out pickups and pots on a semi-hollow guitar? Thanks.

2. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I tie a piece of string to each pot and put a washer at the other end so the string doesn't fall in the guitar. Everything has to come out of the pick up cavaties, but you can pull things right back into place with the strings when you are done.

Don't know if this is the right way, but it works for me.

3. ES350

ES350 Member

another helper is to use a small rare earth magnet on the end of a 12 inch fish wire---epoxy it on there. You can use the fish wire and magnet to grab pot shafts, jack, etc. and drop the washers and nuts right down the wire onto the threads...

4. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

I use dental floss. try and do as much outside the guitar as possible.

with the pickups i'd first solder a scrap wire that's about 2 feet long to the end of the pickup and use that to guide it through. i feed it in from the f hole to the pickup cavity if possible. just unsolder it and solder it to the pot once it's back through to the f hole.

it's tricky but just don't try to solder while it's in unless you like the burnt f hole look