How to swap tubes in my Peavey Classic 50 2x12?

omfg51

I popped the back off of this for the first time today to try to find out what kind of tubes were in it, and I saw that the housing for the tubes appeared to be rather difficult to access.

This model is a 1991, if that makes any difference. In the past I've done all of my own amp maintenance, but I am by no means a professional and I'd like to research this more before I decide to either take it to my amp tech, or dive into it myself.

Anybody have any input on this?

There are two plates along the bottom edge of the chassis. It is what the orange foam is sitting on. Put the amp on it's face on the floor (speaker grill down) and you will see the plates to remove. Each has 2 screws to take off and you are in business. Man those tubes have been hot. They have melted the high temp foam. Are you sure the fan is working on that amp?

omfg51

The fan powers on like it's supposed to when I turn the amp on, and I could feel the air while the cover was off. I got this amp fairly recently and this is my first time opening it up to check it out. I intend to fully restore/repair it for gigging, but I don't honestly know what else could be wrong with it at this point.

I couldn't identify a tube brand, but that's fine, I had planned to put different tubes into it anyways, as well as swap the speakers out.

Probably just needs new EL84's. I suggest JJ's. Although I run Sovtek's sometimes too. That amp is fixed bias and is non-adjustable unless someone has added a bias pot.. So if possible when you order new EL84's just tell them they are for a CLassic 50 and they will sell you a set that will work just fine. I would order JJ's from eurotubes and tell him it's for a Classic 50.

I'd bet those EL84's Sovteks.

The 3 12AX7's look like the Chinese (Super 7's) that came stock in the amp. They sound pretty good. Over at the Peavey forums they recommend:

V1: Tung Sol 12AX7
V2: JJ ECC803S
V3: Sovtek 12AX7LPS
V4-V7: JJ EL84's

Looks like someone has added an effects loop to that amp. The 1991's came stock without it and Peavey later added to the amp and provided an effects loop kit to add one to the earlier amps. Too bad they are no longer available as my Classic 50 is a 1991 model also.

Last edited:

omfg51

Thanks BFT, that's a lot of helpful information, I appreciate it. I'll try finding some other misc. info at the Peavey forums myself as well.

Trending Topics