How to sweep?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by bradpeterson, May 13, 2006.

1. bradpeterson

bradpeterson Member

So guys, how do you sweep? What are the steps for the proper technique?

How did you learn?

I just cant seem to get it... :jo

2. Kevan

Kevan Member

It's a tough technique to get down.
    I'll preface this post by saying that I am by no means great at this, but I have fun with it. (In fact, I'm such a hack I came up with my own 'fake sweeps' after getting frustrated when I first started to learn how to do it. LOL)

Sweeping is a combination of mixing muted picking with non-muted picking. You need to be quick going from one type to the next: hit the note, mute that note, hit the next note, mute that note, et. al.
    I'm sure there's a professional out there that can describe it much better that I just tried to do. :)

The easy part (for me) was the left hand and getting some of the standard shapes down. The HARD part was getting my picking hand fluid and even. Getting the timing right between strings take some practice. I would just mute the strings with my left hand, and practice (over and over) different tempos as well; some fast, some slow, some inbetween....trying to keep them all even between all 6- or 7-strings.

Master Malmsteen, Commander Cooley and General Gilbert are a few major sweepers to check out for great technique.
    (That's Yngwie Malmsteen, Rusty Cooley, and Paul Gilbert...just in case). All those guys have instructional DVDs.

You can also check out ChopsFromHell.com. Some cool sweeping lessons up there once you get the basics down.

Don't get frustrated if you're not pulling 32nd notes off the first time you try it. The first time I did it, it sounded like the "May I help you?" riff...played on a superstore guitar...on a Monday. :D
    Like hybrid picking, strumming, tapping, and all the other things we guitarists put in our 'tool box', it takes some patience and some practice.
    You'll get it.

3. bradpeterson

bradpeterson Member

4. lhallam

lhallam Member

You may want to check out Jack Zucker's (TGP member) Sheets of Sounds instruction book. Tons of stuff.

5. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

+1
    beat me to it, Lance

6. Brian D

Brian D Member

While I can’t attest to his actual learning materials, as I’ve never used them personally, I can sure attest to the ability of Frank Gambale to sweep pick! He completely blew me away a month ago when I saw him live. In addition to the other materials suggested in this post, you might want to check out some of Frank's stuff here. A lot of it is somewhat old, but I’m sure that the techniques he teaches are still sound.

I'm just beginning to work on this technique as well, so I'll be interested to hear if any others here have advice to offer.

7. ivers

ivers Member

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

+1! It's hard and frustrating. Knock Yngwie all you want, but he's a hell of a sweep picker!

9. Kevan

Kevan Member

+1 to the Frank Gambale. Fantastic sweeper. Be sure to watch his right hand if you see him live. The left does some uber-cool stuff, but the right is working just as hard. And then there's that whole coordination thing....LOL

I didn't know Jack had sweeping stuff in his book. I need to check that out.

10. bradpeterson

bradpeterson Member

Looks like I gotta check out this book. :cool:

11. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Gambale's method, which he teaches in his video, as also what Jack Z is talking about in his book - a hybrid method where you alt pick 2 notes on a string, then sweep the 3rd note & the first note of the next string.
    Sorta:
    \/ /\ \/\/ /\ \/\/ ...etc.

It's complicated, but it works.

12. LHanson

LHanson Member

+1 on Rusty Cooley. I'm lucky enough to take lessons when I can afford them. Don't know about the quality of his instructional material, never seen it.

For him, the trick is hammering on the notes with the left hand. He is really good at hitting the strings with the pick, but he can also just dampen the strings behind his left hand and hammer on nearly as loudly as picking them. Lots of gain and neck pickup help even out the volume.

13. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Gambales Monster licks and speed picking is a good video, and John Petrucci's Rock Discipline is another good one for sweeping. Gambales goes more into how to set up your sweeps as Tom was saying, kind of an odd vs. even number of notes, and how to most economically pick.

Petrucci's really breaks down the technique a little more, and is a great video for alternate picking, and legato as well.

14. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

1 point to note... Pick angle.

I am in the school of thought where I believe there's no need to angle your pick when sweeping.

Some ppl like to angle their pick one way when going down, then angle it the opposite way when going up.

While its true that its not wrong to do so, it does not make sense to me to do so.

I started sweeping, making sure I angled my pick and what not... and I never got it right till, you got it, i kept my pick in 1 position and went at it up and down.

At the end of the day, your story might be the opposite of mine, SO! Just be open, if you find yourself stagnant, try pick angle. :)

15. Kappy

Kappy Member

It's a good question about pick angle. I've been working on the sweep picking thing a long time. It's slowly starting to come together. However, I always think there are subtle ways to improve. I was watching Gambale on the Chick Corea Montreaux DVD and he definitely appears to be angling the pick. At least to my eyes, the pick doesn't look perpendicular to the strings. Anyway, I figure if he can sweep the way he does (I've heard all the shred guys, and I've still yet to hear anyone who does it better and more consistently than Gambale, say what you will about his taste in note choice, and his music, etc.), it's worth paying attention to how he does it. YMMV.

16. retro

retro Member

17. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Have you ever taken a look at John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" dvd? He has some great lessons on sweep picking as well as other technique stuff. Gambale is a GREAT guitarist, but dude... Petrucci is one of my guitar idols and he can sweep like a mofo! :dude :RoCkIn

18. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Hmmm... I just re-read my earlier post about pick angle and realised i got it kinda wrong. :p Messaging @ work is bad.

I mean, you know the way some people sweep, in that they angle the pick the same way you would when doing a rake/slow strum? Then when they are going up, high E to Low E sweep, they angle the pick the opposite way.

I don't do that. I just hold my pick in 1 angle, and thats it! It does sweeps both ways like so.

19. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    I have a little sweep video example, not sure if it's helpful or not, but take a look. The way I do it is to start slowly and try to play the notes one at a time, as much is possible. Then increase the speed.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-2.php

20. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member