How to tell a `60`s Bigsby B7 from new?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by WahmBoomAh, Feb 9, 2008.

1. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

OK ... just ponied up another TGP donation ... so , I`ll try to get my moneys worth in info !!!! Seriously ... another thanks to all the experts who consistently take the time to help out us peons ....
    A friend bought a B7 bigsby from the 60` s off ebay .... he then asked me a valid question (to which I have no answer) ...how can you tell it`s from the 60`s ????
    it`s a 335 version with the 4 screw holes on the squared off mounting bracket ...it also says "short" on the inside part of the bracket (as well as _x(can`t make it out from the photo) and "LP" on the actual body of the trem on the inside
    thanks , Paul

2. WahmBoomAh

3. mailman

mailman Member

Some of the "older" B7's have a Phillips head round srcrew/bolt (+) that hold the swivel arm/spring together. Sometime later, they switched to just a smooth, round-head bolt ( ). Not sure what year this was done, though. I checked out about Bigsby's on the Gretsch website, but couldn't get that specific info. Maybe if you contact Gretsch directly? Good luck.

4. Strat

Strat Member

well, I gotta ask....Did he pay a premium over a new one to get a 60's ? Pretty much been stamped out of an aluminum blank and assembled the same way since day one I imagine. Maybe old aluminum sounds better than new ones ? I dunno.........:RoCkIn

5. WahmBoomAh

Understood ....he paid about 30 bucks over a new one on ebay( $170 w shipping . )It came with the old box ...who knows ?
    It`s to replace a cracked mounting bracket and a name etched in the body of the trem from a 69-70 335 . In the case he ever wants to sell the guitar it would be nice to know it is indeed all original ... as far as playing the guitar ...I`m sure he could care less about the age of the aluminum
    thanks all for the input .. Doesn`t seem to be very clear yet .. anyone else ?
    I`ll try the gretsch folks too ..... thanks, Paul