How to tighten tube sockets?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Pott, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Pott

Pott Member

My old Laney has loose sockets, especially for the power tubes. Is it easily tightenable...(if that's even a word)? Thanks!

2. brad347

brad347 Member

yes.

1) Drain caps.

2) Remove tubes, flip amp upside down.

3) Grasp dental pick firmly between thumb and forefinger.

the rest is obvious. :)

3. Pott

Pott Member

Nevermind, figured it out, it's all good!

EDIT: just saw your post! Thanks! I did just that, but with one of those pins you use on the walls to put on posters hehe... the caps are fully empty. About time this amp got a youth relook!

4. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Here's the way Bill from Two-Rock showed me:

1. Drain off the high voltage stored in the power supply. Leave out this step and if you live, you'll be known as Curly for the rest of your life.
    [​IMG]

1. VERY GENTLY insert the tip of a push pin between the metal pin retainer and the outer socket housing. DO NOT PUSH DOWN TOO HARD! All you are trying to do is add a little bit of tension. Push too hard and the metal retainer will bend inward and the socket is unusable. Do this on both sides of the split in the retainer.
    2. Repeat on all the sockets.
    3. If you've got one, take an old power tube you are not using in the amp, spray some Deoxit on the pins and push the tube in and out of the re-tensioned socket to clean away any crud and check the new tension. BTW if you have trouble getting the tube back in the socket, you bent the retainer in to far.

5. Pott

Pott Member

Thanks guys! Everything went great, I replaced 4 big caps on there too and the amp sounds brilliant!