How to upgrade my 'Original Crybaby' (GCB-95)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rossta1, Feb 2, 2006.

1. rossta1

rossta1 Member

I'm sure there are several people doing mods to make these older things 'respectable' - so who does 'em well w/o costing TOO much? Thanks in advance for the help ya'll!

Cheers
    ~r :BEER

2. danny60

danny60 Member

3. shuffle

shuffle Member

Have an electrician friend who plays guitar?

My guitar teacher true bypassed mine for AUS$40

Too easy... Ask someone you know.

4. billygoat

billygoat Member

I did the true bypass with a 3pdt and an led, and a q control. I'll probably add a gain control and an arielfx halo repro inductor.

For my q control, I put a 100k pot AFTER the 33k resistor . An I put a resistor over the outside legs of the pot so it really reads about 70k. Then if the pot is all the way off, It is a normal crybaby, and I can change the q within moderate bounds

5. amoebas

amoebas Guest

the mojo components and the inductor will cost you the most. other than that, anything is chump change.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Yes, I had an old Dunlop Crybaby like yours. They're built like tanks and the essential mods are cheap & easy to do yourself.

As has been said, the number one offender's that crummy switch - when DP/DT switches finally came down in price (the Carlings are still about $35, but I went w/a Chinese made switch at around $10- you can get 'em cheaper, but they have a high failure rate) I did the install myself. In bypass mode, it's like a blanket's been taken off your amp.

But changing the switch does nothing to improve the tone when the circuit's active - some people swap out the entire board & the pot as well, but I was pretty happy w/just changing the inductor. The new 'classic' Crybaby's use a reissue of the famous Italian made Red Fasel inductor, and Dunlop will sell you just that part. Very simple to swap out, and really improves the sound.

7. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

9. Hendrix95

Hendrix95 Member