How to use a strobostomp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Dec 16, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

hey guys, i tried out a strobostomp today to see if it would make my christmas list, and i just couldn't figure out the damn thing. I guessed that when the parts went slower, it was closer to tune, but i still didn't know what i was doing. I figure that once i learn how to use it, it should be no problem, but does anyone have problems with using this onstage between songs? When i'm on stage, i don't want to be sitting there for 5 minutes tuning my guitar. Does the strobostomp become easier to use in time?

thanks, jon

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Naw man, it's no problem at all. At first it is kinda hard, I never though a tuner would have a learning curve... it's only slight though. The key is turning the guitar's volume down nearly 1/2. Remember, it can hear all kinds of overtones. Turning down allows it to focus on the fundamental pitch.

When the “strobes” are moving up note is sharp, down flat. The faster they move, the further away from pitch you are. The slow to a crawl or stop when in tune.

I tune quickly between songs, or right before a set all the time. Once you get used to it, it’s faster than a TU-2.

3. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

From the posts I've read from you. You have enough intellgence to figure it out. Stick with it, It's worth it. You'll see. I played all my life and really never knew what it meant to perfectly intune and intonated everytime until I got used to the stobostomp. Can make you a better player being in perfect tune everytime you play. I can't even go into a store an try out new guitars because I can't them to the sweet spot without a stobo. I even installed the Buzz Feiten system in my LP and Strat. Chords just ring with perfect hamonic bloom. Every Chord. Better yet, I 've developed a better understanding on intune and have 0 tolerlance for anything other than perfect. Need to stop I am on a rant. Good Luck :Spank

Yes, the manuel that comes with it is lacking. Another trick I like is to tune below the note and then bring it UP to perfect when the strob stops rotaing on the right side. Stobos don't seem to like pics, love fingers up the neck.

4. erksin

erksin Member

For the quickest, most accurate tuning use your neck pup with the tone rolled down and pluck a harmonic with your fingers at the 12th fret. I've also done it on the bridge pup (no tone control) and it worked fine - the most important thing is to feed it a strong signal, keep your volume up full.

And read your manual...

5. themusicboxstudios

thanks guys, that's what i figured ... it's on the list for sure!

6. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I saw an incoming Sea Blue Eq in your list. It's a real tone changer that will dominate your board. It seems to find those in between spots that your amps can't get to, uncanny really. The last two weeks I 've been playing a Custom Shop 56 reissue Strat with Wagner SR pups into a Strobo, Tone Press ,CJOD, SBEQ, VERBZILLA very little 63 spring, Fulltone TTE, to a Custom Shop Fender Vibroverb. I think I may give myself a heart attack soon. I am a lucky man.

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I have to disagree with you on the strong signal... when the SS first came out, I had a hard time with it... a rep from Peterson got on the Peterson forum and stated to roll the guitars volume down and this was one of the most important things to do, and admitted they were remise for omitting it from the manual.

Actually when you roll your tone down, you are probably reducing some of the overtones allowed to the SS, almost the same thing as rolling down the volume.

8. themusicboxstudios

that's good to hear. i've heard nothing but good things about it. i'm sure it will blow me away, but i'm kind of hesitant about it. if i don't like it, either the honey bee or the dyna red will be on their way!

9. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Mama will sell everything before I am cold!

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Aaron:
    You are correct. If anyone wants info on the Strobo, go to their site:

http://petersontuners.com/forum/default.asp

Thank me later :)

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I have decided that this is the tuner I want as well. I tried one out and really liked the display for tuning and the system of moving bars. How many pedals can be powered by it? Can you just plug a one-spot or daisy chain into it? I think my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 is at capacity, and I am still adding pedals...

12. erksin

erksin Member

The Strobo doesn't power any pedals on it's own - you can just daisy chain off it (same thing for the Boss TU-2, FWIW).

13. erksin

erksin Member

I have no clue, sorry - I don't own a PP2 - but I run the SS daisychained off a One Spot and have no issues...

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The SS runs about 80 mA. Meaning if you would plug it into jack 5 or 6 on the PP2, you'd have 120 mA's left to daisy chain from your SS with

15. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I'm running all this(see the link) on one 1st version Pedal Power, including my strobostomp. Hasn't blown up yet. However my Keeley Katana, wah, and fuzz face are still on batteries as they hum a little on the PP. When I tune I just leave the guitar up all the way. Still, it helps to dampen any adjacent strings just like you would on any tuner. The tuner is picky, so tuning just takes time. But that is because the unit is accurate, and that is a good thing.

Here's my setup with the strobostomp. My pedal power is mounted underneath. I use the through jacks on the strobostomp and line selector (AB box) to get enough jacks for all the DC cords.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=77919&page=49

16. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i think you probably have enough info on how to use this. i just thought i'd throw out my opinion on the SS v. the TU-2. fwiw, i think i'm selling the SS. i'm a bit nearsighted and it's hard to read the strobostomp clearly on the floor if i'm standing. the TU-2 is much easier to read, and when used in "stream" mode is very easy to tune up quickly and accurately. ... i know, it isn't quite as accurate as the SS, but between eyes and ears i think i get the same result - without all the squinting :)