How to use barry galbraith's books

Fricadelle59

Hello
I just bought Barry Galbraith # 1 - The Fingerboard Workbook, Barry Galbraith # 2 - Daily Exercises In the Melodic Minor & Harmonic Minor Modes, Barry Galbraith # 3 - Guitar Comping Play-A-Long

And I was puzzled by how to use these, at least the first one since I will begin with that (but if it's meant to be worked out altogether, ok tell me what to do).

In terms of theory, I used a lot Guthrie Govan's book Creative Guitar 1 so I have some basics, and I can read notes on a stave. Maybe I picked up books too hard for me, but how would you use these books to get the most out of it?

The #1 book begins with various concrete examples: how should you jump from position playing to triad playing etc.
and then a solo in some key. The solo is broken down into chunks. for example Eb pentatonic, Diminished arppegio etc. Makes sense with the aforementioned examples.

And then other solo without indication of structure.

So is it up to me to figure out the structure ? Maybe it is the exact same structure I don't know yet. Over which progression should I use these solo ?

Thanks for your help!!

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
These are books I've played through for years.
Book#1: start with the introduction section that explain the principle of movement. I skipped ahead to the fingered version the G major étude. These major studies aren't about a progression. That's a whole page of lines over a G major genre tonality. Note the use of chromaticism where it occurs. I worked through this book,one study at a time, till I could play through the book. It took months!
Book #2 play the scale fingerings and especially the harmonized scales.
Comping: learn the comps and baselines for same tune. The written baselines are different than what Milt plays. That's ok. Pan the bass off on the recording when you are practicing the bass lines.
Mo later. Good for you. Be patient!!!

Last edited:

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
You don't have to play through the Fingerboard Workbook in sequential order. I would definitely start with the principals of fingering first but after that you could include or start with the ii-V7 patterns. Sure, you have to read to get the juice out of the book but if you make your efforts all about the reading then you'll miss the marrow.
After you have mastered sections of the book you need to transpose the lines to other keys.

dingusmingus

I have the Bach book and the comping book. I've gotten a lot out of both of them. I should probably pick up the other volumes for completeness sake!

Trending Topics