How to use koko bost with badger for blues rock, various tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kzin, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Kzin

Kzin Member

I play in a blues rock band, and I plan on getting a suhr koko bost for the badger 35. I need couple of different tones. I mainly use a hss strat, and I like ridining the volume knob. Sometimes thats not enough, either it doesnt cover wide enough range of tones, or I need to change tones quickly, so I´m thinking of adding a kokoboost. I like organic amp-like tones.

Some tones i need:

1. Cleanish tones, like slow dancing in a burning room. I never play 100% clean, so I want a a little bit of breakup when I dig in. Also for cleanish funk rythms.

2. Edge of breakup, semi dirty texas blues rythm: pride and joy, my way down (chris duarte), tight rope etc. Since there alot of guitar fills in pride and joy I need this tone not to be too clean.

3. Solo tone to work in songs like slow dancing.

4. Gainy rythm, like in badness by chris duarte.

5. Solo tone with more gain and sustian, like in tigtrope.

6. I little less gainy solo tone, like in pride and joy.

How can I set the amp and use guitar volume and pickup selector in conunction with the two modes of the koko boost to get these tones?

2. Comanche

Comanche Member

You're going to love the Koko Boost. I have the original and love it.

It will help you do all of the things you've listed here. It's perfect either as a boost to increase volume, or to push an amp into breakup, or to add extra gain structure to a pedal.

I play with a Fender Dual Showman, and this amp does not like to break from cleans - all the way to 10!

With the Koko, I use the boost side (green), and it gives the most wonderful boost and break-up for the amp.

I have experimented with putting the Koko in front of other pedals, and after. I much prefer it before. My signal is like this...

Tuner > Fuzz > Wah > Koko > DriveMaster > Delay

You'll love the Koko for edge of breakup blues.

3. Kzin

Kzin Member

Thanks! I think I´ll get it then.
    I think the edge of breakup tones from the amp are great, so I´m considering useing to to get more breakup.

How do you use the regular and mid boost?

4. Tiboy

Tiboy Member

I had the original Koko and now have Koko Reloaded. Both are great pedals and will give you what you are after.

5. Space Jazzer

Space Jazzer Member

Yep, the Koko is a great pedal! It has that way of integrating itself in your rig, and become a staple of your tone. I would recommend adding a no-nonsense drive pedal after the Koko, just to expand the palette a bit. I know that's not what you're asking for, and you'll most likely be happy with just the Koko, but the things you can do when boosting another drive pedal with the Koko are just too much fun! The Suhr Shiva is a good example!

6. Kzin

Kzin Member

I have a BB Preamp which I love. It would work I suppose?

7. Comanche

Comanche Member

I spend most of my time on the boost side (green). The Mid Boost is good also, but for the G&L Comanche that I mainly use, I find that I can dial a lot of extra boost / mids etc from using the Bass and Treble knobs.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

You need a koko boost and a Rocket EQ.
    [​IMG]
    Places the Rocket can take your pu tones is off the charts, by same token put it after your boost and you can reshape it's focus before it hits amp as well as boost level even more if desired. Anything from basic EQ to more throaty stuck wah and notch filters.

In fact get Rocket for right after guitar and a Triumvirate Boost (low gain version) after....
    [​IMG]

The light OD to boost on triumvirate boost is without compare, it does everything you can imagine.

It not only allows you balance out your bass/treble/mids but you can add OD where you want it. Really between these 2 I really don't see need for koko boost at all.