How to use pedals with Line Level effects loop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nbtrue, Mar 12, 2015.

1. nbtrue

nbtrue Supporting Member

I will admit I am a bit of a novice when it comes to effects loops. Mosts of my amps have either not had one, or I really just haven't used them. I'd like to give it a try, but the amp I have has a line level signal on the effects loop (might have said that wrong??), and I've read that those type of effect loops do not play well with most pedals. My question is, what is the best way to deal with this? Will a simple good buffer fix this, or will I need to buy some extra gear to get the best performance out of it? The G-Lab Amp Loop Adapter ALA-1 (which I can't find for sale in the US) was suggested to me, which would seem to do the trick from reading the description, but I am wondering if any of the experts here on TGP have any other info to contribute on this subject. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Lef T

Lef T Member

I am not an expert.
    Have never used an fx loop until now.
    I've got a Mesa Express+ with a series,line level loop.
    Wasn,t sure how a delay pedal being instrument level would work.
    I got a Memory Lane Jr. delay pedal and it works perfectly in the loop.

3. Valus

Valus Member

What's the amp?

4. nbtrue

nbtrue Supporting Member

The amp is a 3rd Power Dream Weaver MKII, and it apparently has a line level effects loop.

5. frthib

frthib Member

I have a JCA22h who as a line level loop, I tried many tricks, Morley loop level corrector, DI with padding to fx to a clean boost after, eq, etc... I never trully succeded.

It's easy to lower the loop level but tricky bringing it back after with losing sound quality.

Having to do it back, I would buy fx pedal who can handle line level signal. less expensive. (digitech hardwire).

You can investigate the ceriatone Klein-ulator or c-ulator. I was about there when I stopped searching

6. frthib

frthib Member

ps : an overloaded digital multifx is not good.