How to use the SL Drive...?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by raul, Feb 24, 2015.

1. raul

raul Member

Playing currently with a Twin Rverb...and pedals for various degrees of dirt! Musket for Muff fuzz, MXR Fuzz Face and VFE Alpha Dog for Rat tones, EP Boost always on at the end of the chain...do i need the SL Drive? I suppose it would be a good alternative to the distortion and fuzz pedals...a good standard Marshall kind of tone...would it get in the way? Is that overdrive overkill?
    I figure it would be like having a rad setup with the Fender Twin Cleans and the SL Drive would be the Marshall tones...and the distortion and fuzz tones wuold be best with the clean channel as I'm used to doing, for over the top stoner psych shoegaze mania...but the SL Drive...that would be the Marshall style tone...yes?
    How are you people using yours?

2. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Just got one last month. Not sure how Marshally it is but it's a nice drive that cuts the mix alright. Fairly transparent and amp like. I like it better than the BB pre amp.

3. stilwel

stilwel Member

I run my SL drive into a Hot Rod Deluxe. I basically use it as a channel switch for my amp.
    Fender clean and Marshall dirty. I run all manner of other dirt boxes in front of it and it takes them all very well.

4. dburns

dburns Member

Really intrigued by this pedal too. I'm kinda in the same boat in that I have a Dirty Bomb, and I'm wondering how much overlap there is between the two. Haven't been able to try the SL yet.

5. 7thString

7thString Member

Well I have a real plexi and can confirm that the SL drive does a great job of accomplishing a low volume plexi tone. Out of the many MIAB's, the SL has some really nice low end to replicate that closed back 4x12 thump. I think a lot of people buy these amp in a box pedals and expect some very smooth singing lead tone straight off the bat, but they try it in their bedroom without any band accompaniment and it just seems way to raw, with those strong high mids etc. Most plexis in reality are anything but 'smooth'

6. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Not a good stacker, but sounds nice on its own. Imo too much overlap with your Rat, but it's definitely its own sound.

7. beexter

beexter Member

If I want Marshall drive sounds, that's when I step on the SL. It's the main drive pedal on my board and is usually run into a clean amp. Works fine for me.