How-to: Virtual Volume Pedal in your guitar... can you???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lucky Dog Guitars, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I use a volume pedal all the time, because I prefer the sound of my guitar when the volume knob is wide open..

However, I'm getting tired of having to be tied to the volume pedal so much when Im on stage..

So I started thinking.. Why cant I wire my guitar in a way that my volume knob acts like a volume pedal... keep in mind, I DONT want to reduce my gain.. just my volume.

Im just not sure where to start... but I was wondering if I could drill a new hole in my tele control plate.. and just add a knob there..

Would I have to put a volume pot just before the leads leading to the cord output?..

If anyone knows how I could basically install a virtual volume pedal in my guitar LET ME KNOW!!... Im just not sure how to wire it..

I dont like the sound of my guitar when I turn the volume knob down.. I like keeping the sound of the guitar turned wide open.

Thanks!

2. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Hillbilly, I agree with you regarding keeping the volume dimed and using a vol pedal to back the overall output down. I have been doing this for many, many years myself. You are essentially looking to install a master volume control right onto the gtr. I have seen this before on certain Gretches, Guilds and some Gibsons so I know it can be done. While I cant tell you how the wiring would have to be, Im sure a qualified tech could do that for you. Im guessing its a matter of installing a volume pot just before the output jack.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Could be as simple as adding/changing a treble bleed capacitor on your existing volume control(s).

4. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

You will almost always reduce gain with volume except if it's after the entire preamp section.

What you "might" try... is a 1 meg pot as your guitar volume to give you more up top with flexibility and then use a trebble bleed cap also.

Where is your volume pedal placed now?

5. KBN

KBN Member

+1 I was going to ask the same thing. Also, have you upgraded pots in your guitar?

6. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I primarily play an American Deluxe tele with a fralin system in it... sounds great

I run my volume pedal very last in my chain just before going to the amp.

So my guitar goes straight into my effects.. out of the effects > into the volume pedal then straight to the amp..

With this set up.. my guitar sounds the very same no matter how low/high my volume pedal is (which the exception of a slightly different sound due to the amp being more cranked when the pedal is at full volume)

but this is exactly what I want to recreate... I want no change in gain or change in guitar performance.. just up & down volume..

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

so you want to put an effects loop in your guitar? you'll need to literally have 2 more cables on your guitar, one coming from the last pedal, and one more going straight to the amp, wired to a 25k pot in the guitar. (i think jerry garcia had some sort of rig-up like this.)

8. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

crap! you guys just pointed out the obvious.. I cant do this very easily since my volume pedal is at the END of my chain.

I guess I need to try my volume pedal at the beginning of my chain & see if I like how it sounds.. if I do.. then I could pursue this idea further

9. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

You could mount a 2nd jack on your guitar and use a stereo cable to that jack alone and use a master volume that way.
    I wonder if you could "convert" a pedalsnake to make it pretty clean.

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Would the correct answer be "Talk to Don M"???

11. vorvick

vorvick Member

I got the volume pot capacitor along with some Kinman pickups. This is a cheap, non-invasive mod that you should probably try before drilling any holes. There's probably a lot about it hear on TGP.

V

12. walterw

that would be a somewhat cleaner way of doing it.

the volume pedal at the front of the chain will act just like the guitar's volume knob, reducing the gain as it's turned down. it will also likely load the pickups, hurting the tone.

13. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

You're missing it. It would still be at the end of the chain. He wants his volume pedal in his guitar and I was suggesting a pedalsnake to carry the normal signal and also the send and receive necessary for the end of chain volume control.

14. walterw

i was actually referring to this, which would not be what you and i are talking about.

15. FAC

FAC Member

Assuming I am not missing it, Jerry Garcia did in fact have something like what you're after, as noted by walterw. Jerry's pickups went to an onboard buffer, then down to his effects, then back up to his guitar, where he could control the volume AFTER the effects...just what you want, I think.

It is discussed here:

http://community.rukind.org/viewtopic.php?t=3733&sid=7eb977326dba998251985b7bf6b37d87

or do a search on Garcia's rig...lots of info.

16. TomK

TomK Member

OK guys - just thinking out loud here - but I think there is a slightly more hi-tech way of approaching this but it would take a little digging.

Why not use a VCA circuit IN the volume pedal on the floor that is remote controlled from a pot on the guitar?

Craig Anderton has a circuit for installing a VCA (voltage controlled amplifier) in a volume pedal. The control voltage is DC and could be routed to a guitar on a TRS jack / cable assembly (like phantom power) and wired to an extra pot in the guitar. A couple of advantages to this approach would be that the guitar would not require a second jack and that the signals stay on the pedalboard so you eliminate all of the extra cable / signal length of routing to the guitar and back.

Anyway - check Amazon for either of Craig's books (Electronic Projects for Guitarists or Musicians...I can't remember which book it is in and mine are packed away due to a recent move.)

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I may be missing something here, but the volume pedal at least AFTER OD and dirt pedals is the real answer.

Maybe I missed what you want to do but I think you are confusing two issues as I see it. Volume control on a guitar IS volume AND it is also gain when hitting the first pedal. A good buffer can get all that volume over, and then can be controlled after by a volume pedal. If the volume pedal is right after guitar, it is just putting another volume control in series with the one in the guitar. The signal from pickups is just too small (unless they are active pickups with power?) and weak...

But I don't understand the problem (I've done it for years) of real volume pedal after dirt. You adjust dirt how you want it, control gain (gain in the dirt pedals!) by the guitar volume control (I also have installed bypass caps to keep it from muddying when guitar vol goes down) and control volume into the amp by the volume pedal.

Did I miss something you are trying to do other than have seperate control of gain and actual volume?

18. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Yup

19. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Awesome concept, I was thinking of much more complex ways of doing the same, but didn't want a radio transmission from the guitar to board.

20. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member