how to wear off the neck of a strat!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by IndieHead, Jul 9, 2006.

1. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

hi,

I got a 57 reissue strat and I find the lacquer on the neck too sticky for my liking. Anyone know how to wear off this finish? whats with this sticky lacquer anyways? it is meant to be worn off? I read some real vintage collectors commenting that after it worn off thru the years...the neck feels better. Any opinions?

Thanks!

2. ricoh

ricoh Member

Well.......you can remove the finish with 0000 grade steel wool.

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Just remember to tape off your pickups first... doesn't matter that you're not sanding near them... they'll pick up those little fillaments from the steel wool like nobody's business and they're a bitch to get off. You only do that once and you'll never do that again ;)

-Ben

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

Tell me about it, the last time I put my Tele in for a fret dress it came back with filings all over the pups.
    :mad:

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've had that happen too, Unburst... it's really annoying when a professional drops the ball like that!

-Ben

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Try putting it in the morning sun every day for several hours a day for several weeks. My pal Pete does this with amazing results. Don't let it get too hot - I'm not talking about baking the thing (DUH!)

Put it on a stand and in the sunlight that filters through a window. It really seems to accelerate the hardening of the laquer, which make it feel less sticky. This is no joke - Pete has builders like Mike DeTemple trying it.

I removed most of the finish from a Strat neck by sanding it off - start w/300 grit, finish with 600 and 000 steel wool. Wrap the sandpaper around a small block of wood, and sand gently ( I mean push on it, but don't put your whole body weight into it) Use long, even strokes.

Never sanded much before? Take it to somebody who has and ask 'em to help you. You don't have to take ALL the finish off, just most of it.

I'd try the sun drying first - It's a well spent 3 weeks and is completely non-invasive.

Dana

7. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I like the idea of setting it in the morning sun. Gotta try that some time.

I've never sanded a lot of finish off a neck, but with new guitars, I almost always get rid of the gloss with the finest sandpaper I have, or 0000 steelwool. Once the gloss is gone, I seldom stick to the finish.

8. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

I think that leaving it in the sun will also make the nitro on the body change color a bit. I have noticed several nitro strats in local stores that have been hanging for a while and the color has changed noticably. I saw a daphne blue strat that had turned green. So take some pre-cautions if you don't want to change the finish.

9. Distortion

Distortion Member

10. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Why not just play the hell out of it? :jo

11. dallas

dallas Member

LOL! I wax the crap out of it so it will be smooth and shiney like my Les Paul's neck. 2 Strats and a Tele. All have smooth necks!

12. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

That'll work. But that's easier to do when your neck isn't too sticky.

13. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

thanks for the advise guys.......

I might go for sunbaking the guitar then, cause I m afraid of oversandind the neck! the other thing is why do they make the neck so sticky? i just dun understand.....maybe for people with sweaty palms....

14. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Use the search function and look for 'micromesh'. Scott Peterson had a superlong and detailed thread about how to achieve the exact feel your after. :BEER

15. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

I would suggest using a quality guitar polish that is compatible with laquer finishes. I use a Martin polish that works great and leaves my nitro neck very slick. I can't tell any difference between my poly or nitro necks using the polish.

Scott L.

16. Luke V

Luke V Member

My '62 RI is 23 years old and I've played the hell out of it. I find that waxing the neck is the only thing that works. Temp. and humidity make a big difference too. I keep a polishing cloth close by when I'm gigging.

17. kev

kev Member

Just a quick note about letting it sit in sunlight on a stand. Make sure that your stand is safe for lacquer finishes, otherwise, you may find that the finish will be messed up from the foam/rubber interacting with the finish as it cures. A safe bet is to put it in one of those body-only stands, and even then, placing a clean t-shirt over the stand before putting the guitar in it to protect the body from any foam/rubber padding.

18. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

60 grit sandpaper on a belt sander