How to wire a push/pull pot for on/off

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Noodly-Noodle, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Noodly-Noodle

Noodly-Noodle Member

I want to wire my middle Dimarzio Humbucker to the push/pull volume knob so that up is OFF an down is ON.

I'm setup this way:

H-H-H

I'm using 2x 3-way switches Series/OFF/Single (North for neck, South for Bridge) and the volume push pull for the middle.
    I've found wire plans for both the 3 ways and have soldered them up.
    The final piece is that push pull DPDT potentiometer.

North Finish + Red
    North Start - Black
    South Finish + White
    South Start - Green
    Bare

Black and white are soldered together for Series Humbucking. The bare should go to ground.

I've been basing my wiring off this:
    http://www.planetz.com/pushpull-pots/
    But I'm not getting anywhere with the rest of the leads.
    I'm not an electronics guy so schematics are completely foreign to me. I'm pretty decent at soldering however so that makes me feel better.

Thank you

2. Noodly-Noodle

Noodly-Noodle Member

Ok, I sorta figured it out I think.
    It's all wired up only now I have a massive hum ESPECIALLY when all pickups are OFF. Now I didn't think this was important but is it? I didn't solder the ground on the POT to the POT body...

[​IMG]

Any ideas on what went wrong? the pickups seem to function correctly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  3. Noodly-Noodle

Noodly-Noodle Member

Looks like I may have wired a couple things wrong.

I'm basing this off some very simplistic diagrams and youtube videos that show a different setup. I think it's easily fixable however, which is a relief.

I just wish my Graph Tech TUSQ nut had come in before the weekend.
    I have the string trees and saddles on my amazon wish list. BTW, my birthday is Monday, people.

This is my first rebuild. I changed out the tuning machines and resurrected the fretboard from this desicated joshua tree looking thing to it's current splendor (or just normal looking at any rate).

Speaking of which I really like that Dunlop 65 system. For 20 bucks, it's worth it. On my way home I think I'll see if guitar center has copper shielding tape. I'm going back in (into the guitar) anyway, might as well gussy it up a little.

I really should have taken a before pick. $60 Peavey Raptor EXP with a sig on the headstock. Can't find a pick of it anywhere. The signature looks like a '78'. I wonder if I bought a bogus guitar.. ?? For $60 it's not too bad tho.

/endramblingmonologue

4. Noodly-Noodle

Noodly-Noodle Member

Well, I got it to work.

I could only get 1 line to solder to the DPDT volume pot. Can't tell you how frustrating that was to get 3 to land and then all 3 to pop off again. The whole damn pot was hot. The solder still wouldn't stick.
    EDIT: I meant to say I could only get 1 wire to solder to the BODY of the volume pot for the sake of grounding. 1 wire from the lug to the body and the rest were group soldered to the lug.

Maybe it was the solder. Sn60/Pb40 RA flux, 22 Gauge, 0.032" Diamm.
    Don't use it.
    It certainly wasn't the iron. 40w Radio Shack deal. There's some who recommend 15w. Who wants to sit there all day?

I called every store I could think of for Copper Tape shielding. I decided full boat/monty whatever. I wanted to fix this guitar up. Then I read about tin foil. I'm one of those people who buys everything in bulk. So I have this rol of Foodservice Foil in my kitchen... **** it. Now my guitar has a tinfoil hat.

[​IMG]

Turns out I'd soldered everything wrong. I was basing my push pull pot off of one site that had the ground on a different lug than all the other schematics I was looking at. That one little joint on the volume pot was enough. All 4 of the other wires I just soldered to the lug since the lug was also soldered to the pot body, if that makes any sense.

Well it sounds just great now. I'm pretty proud of myself. I've never done this before and it worked out.

Of course I have to take it apart because it bulges in the middle of the pick guard. Clearly there's cabling under there that's not in a routed channel. I'm almost afraid to do it. I was on my last nerve when I put that final screw in.
    It was either going to work or it was going out the window.

I just met someone at work who's entire cube is covered in designs. She just makes designs while our ****** software takes forever to do it's job. I'm going to ask her on Monday if she will do a design for my pick guard.

I traced out the pick guard on a sheet of paper for her to come up with a preliminary idea. Fingers crossed. I hope she'll do it.

So for those of you who are like me and haven't had the chance or the balls to set out on a god forsaken moby dick adventure - you might be able to pull it off.

Take away: I'm most proudest of the sound I created. Even with all the hissing and bad grounding I could tell it was going to sound great if I could just endure. A close second is the fact that I managed to get all that tin foil in there. It's only 3 large pieces and 2 smaller ones that are covering a bald spot and the bridge ground hole. I didn't even tear any of the pieces, they are each first shots. I used a leatherman to trim the pick guard and some beard trimming scissors for the body cavity trimming. If you slide the blade of the knife at an angle toward the direction of motion it should only take a few passes to gently shave off excess foil. All the fine detail work was of course a bitch and it tore and snagged but it was never so bad I had to start over. I used double sided tape to keep that **** in line. A lot of double sided tape. Even after I finished it I went back and added more tape between the foil and the pick guard. I think there's only 1 piece of tape under each of the 3 sections of the body. It's long but there's only one, none for the sides of the cavities.

Peace out.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  5. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Loose the foil,all it does over shilding paint is attenuate your treble. If you use quality parts screaned wire to the jack and your soldering skills are on par the foil is a downgrade.

6. Noodly-Noodle

Noodly-Noodle Member