How to wire a Strat 5 Way Import Switch?

IamKrisJones

Hello tekkies!
I have just swapped the pickups in my Strat and at the same time I would like to change the 5 way configuration. The way it is now was eliminating the tone pot for the bridge pickup but I would like to be able to use it. Problem is the guitar has an import switch (YM-50) and all I can find are diagrams explaining for regular 5 way switches. Can somebody show me or explain how I need to wire an import switch properly? Somebody previously said to jump 4 and 6 to get tone pot working on the bridge again? Also at the moment it has 4 and 5 jumped together. Is that supposed to be and do I keep it that way for what I need?
Thanks for the assistance!
Kris

Pics for views of how it was previously:

Blix

Supporting Member
Move the bottom tone pot wire one lug to the right (the unused one) and it should now work on your bridge pickup instead of middle.

Blix

Supporting Member
So sorry man. I appreciate your help, I really do. But can you run down what wire should go where if you can please? Or confirm if the diagram I posted above is accurate.
Thanks
Look closer at the modified pic, you just solder a short wire across those two lugs. From the unused one to the one left of it.

Mark Robinson

Gold Supporting Member
Yes it does, but I never use that switch, I throw it away as soon as I can. But test the instrument now, before you put the instrument together. You can tap a small screwdriver on the pole pieces, operate the switch and all the pots and here whether you have the desired change in place.

IamKrisJones

Yes it does, but I never use that switch, I throw it away as soon as I can. But test the instrument now, before you put the instrument together. You can tap a small screwdriver on the pole pieces, operate the switch and all the pots and here whether you have the desired change in place.
So everything works, except. My 2nd tone pot works for the bridge and middle pickup. Is that normal? I thought the middle pickup would still be controlled by the 1st tone pot.

Blix

Supporting Member
So everything works, except. My 2nd tone pot works for the bridge and middle pickup. Is that normal? I thought the middle pickup would still be controlled by the 1st tone pot.
Sound like it is like it should be, first tone pot for neck, and the second(closest to the floor) for bridge/middle.

IamKrisJones

Sound like it is like it should be, first tone pot for neck, and the second(closest to the floor) for bridge/middle.
Ok, cool! Just not used to it like that I guess. My only Strat and has been like this since I have it so I'll have to get used to it. Thanks for your help everybody! :D

jbefumo

Anyone know whether the standard Fender 5-way switch is shorting or non-shorting? Need to implement similar functionality using a rotary switch & not certain which flavor to order. Thanks.

...shorting or non-shorting?...
Make before break, or break before make you mean? Make before break, to avoid brief pop/silence when switching.

Edit: Well the Fender switch is really only a three way make-before-break, with two extra mechanical detents, so doesn't translate directly to a rotary. If you're using a rotary switch with five electrically distinct positions, it probably doesn't matter, as you are going to be bridging poles on each wafer anyway (to get the in-between positions), creating the make yourself. I think you need at least four wafers to copy the action of the Fender switch (to get 1+2, 2+3, and not 1+2+3) for pickup/tone, but I will spot the flaw in my logic tomorrow upon waking.

Wafer 1 Pickup:
1 1 X 3 3
Wafer 2 Pickup:
X 2 2 2 X
Wafer 3 Tone:
X R R R X
Wafer 4 Tone
X X X F F

But if your 5 way 4 wafer rotary switch really is make before break, then tone can be on one wafer, leaving wafer 4 for something else like:

Wafer 3 Tone:
X R R F F
Wafer 4 Coil Split:
X 1 X 3 X

Last edited:

Trending Topics