How Tweedy is the Swart STR Tweed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MarkF786, Feb 14, 2012.

1. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

A year or so ago I was looking for a tweed amp with reverb and ending up buying a Swart STR Tweed. I kept the amp for several months but just couldn' get along with it. The amp sounded too damn bright with ice-pick highs; I wanted to cut out the bright cap on the tone control to try to tame it. In the end, the only time I liked the amp was when I went through an attenuator, which rolled off some highs - and even then, I rarely enjoyed playing it. In the end, I sold the amp.

Granted, I'll admit that I'm sensitive to bright amps - for example, I'll never use a bright switch on a blackface - so it's a personal taste thing. Other people might love the Swart and think it's not bright.

Anyway, I've been thinking of trying another tweed amp but I'm wondering how representative of the tweed sound is the Swart STR Tweed? If that's what a tweed amp sounds like - bright and ice-picky - then no thanks. I've been thinking about building a Princeton Tweed or Deluxe Tweed (though I wish there was a low-wattage tweed amp with bass-mid-treble controls to better shape the sound to my taste).

So how tweedy is the Swart STR Tweed? Is it tweed in name only or truly sound like a tweed amp?

Thanks,

Mark

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

From what I've personally played and heard (and I did own a STR-Tweed) Swarts aren't as bright as other Tweeds. If you thought it was too bright then I have a feeling this isn't the kind of amp you want. Of course things like speaker choice and tubes can take care of a lot of this. There is a good comparison of a Swart and Tweed Champ here and the Fender sounds brighter to me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCvLdZq8p5Q

3. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Just to throw out there, without comparing any Swarts to any Fender amps, but Tweeds are very responsive to the controls on the guitar.

4. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

The STR is the brightest Swart in my opinion, but I would say its the only Swart that is brighter than a Tweed champ. I would also say that Swarts are always darker than most 5e3 style deluxes.

As a rule I haven't bonded well with Tweed amps because I find I prefer "darker" amps Ala the Shiva, Budda, etc. In my experience the brightness does tame a little in the bigger 35-60w tweeds , but at that point its got too much headroom for what I love in a Tweed semiclean tones. Perhaps you could go try out a Swart AST or SST. Fyi I do keep the Swart tone knob between 9:00-12:30 on the dial.

5. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

The STR is the brightest Swart in my opinion, but I would say its the only Swart that is brighter than a Tweed champ. I would also say that Swarts are always darker than most 5e3 style deluxes.

As a rule I haven't bonded well with Tweed amps because I find I prefer "darker" amps Ala the Shiva, Budda, etc. In my experience the brightness does tame a little in the bigger 35-60w tweeds , but at that point its got too much headroom for what I love in a Tweed semiclean tones. Perhaps you could go try out a Swart AST or SST. Fyi I do keep the Swart tone knob between 9:00-12:30 on the dial.