how useful is an eq pedal if.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pickleweed, Feb 15, 2012.

1. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

if your amp has tone controls? i obviously have too much money burning a whole in my pocket or something, but ive been thinking about adding an eq to my chain. whats the general opinion here on eq pedals even if your amp has controls? i know it cant hurt, but how much will it help?

2. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

i use my eq pedal to get an am radio effect. so its my radio pedal

3. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

It helps. My eq makes the sound more detailed. Said effect can't be obtained with amp controls. I boost both treble and bass and cut the mids back a little.

4. Release

Release Member

Same here.

It brings an already nice amp even MORE to life. Just don't overdo it.

5. losergeek

losergeek Member

Not sure I'd need it as an 'always on' effect, but I'm using one with a mid-high bump for my boost right now

6. taez555

taez555 Member

Well it's really two completely different beasts. The amp EQ is tweaking the tone of the amp, where as the pedal is tweaking the tone of the guitar.

So, eq pedal is cool with me if that's the sound you're looking for.

7. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

I use 2 eq's. One for the radio effect and one for matchung levels between sc's and hb's

8. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

They can be very useful, not only as a way to fine tune your base tone, but also as a way to have a different tone on hand. I used to use an EQ set with a mid boost and a bit of a volume boost for solos. I've also used an EQ to scoops some mids to clean up an amp that is breaking up. They have also come in handy to help match a bright, low output guitar to pedals and amp that were dialed in for my other guitars. They can be a very useful tool for many applications.

9. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i just got an MXR 10band EQ
    it works really well and it will do things that your amp simply cannot control!

Very Important: put the EQ in the effects loop.
    you have the most control this way because it comes after the preamp.

if you put it before the preamp (like right after a distortion) it will simply change the sound of the incoming signal....which will sound very cool but it won't change the sound of the AMP ITSELF unless it's in the effects loop.

understand?.....

It's cool, buy one.

10. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

perhaps you would be happy with a rc booster or even a timmy. both of these can have a huge effect on the eq and are more sexy than an eq pedal

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  11. cheameup

cheameup Member

in front of your amp its like tweaking your pick ups

in an effects loop you can really shape the sound after the pre amp

an amps eq has 3 knobs covering the range of sound while an eq pedal has allot more . way more flexability

12. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

thanks for the responses guys. even a parametric 3 bander?

anyways, it seems pretty unanimous. im a an endless tweaker, even though im reasonably content with what i have atm. :)
    its just not a "fun" pedal to blow money on.

13. cheameup

cheameup Member

its actually allot more fun than you'd think with a 7-10 band. theres a ton of different sounds you can mess with

14. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

would you recommend a 7-10 band graphic over a parametric?

15. cheameup

cheameup Member

personally I like the 10 band. I've never used a 3 band on my board .only vst ones in the studio

I'm sure 3 band has it uses and fans but I'd rather have the fine tuning of the graphic for what I do with it

16. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

anyone else got a nickels worth of opinion concerning graphic vs parametric?

17. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

There's some real nice EQ pedals out there.....from the Emperess which is highly tweakable....to the Fromel Shape Eq....but the one that interests me right now is the Source Audio Programmable EQ. It's $149, and is an 8 Band, 64Hz Band with 4 separate EQ selections on the fly.

18. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Graphic is good if you know what your tone should look like. Parametric is good if you know what your tone should sound like.

Sorry, bad joke.

19. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I dunno but I recently picked up a BJFe Sea Blue EQ and I love it! I'm running it after dirt before delay and it makes everything sound fuller. The clean is fantastic and it makes each of my dirt pedals sound larger. I'm blown away, eq pedals can truly be an under sung thing around here.

20. Musikerochan

Musikerochan Member

gigging somewhere and not sure what amp the venue would be letting you use? a good eq could help.