How versatile are Splawn Nitro/QR's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skeeballcore, Feb 23, 2015.

1. skeeballcore

skeeballcore Member

I've got a lead on a couple of affordable Splawns, and i've been looking to get into the British style crunch and like the idea of more modern features.

What I want to know is if these amps can do lower gain stuff well as well? Looking for Pearl Jam, STP, A Perfect Circle tones. No way to play before I pay so I'm looking for some pointers.

Thanks
    :rockin

2. demea26

demea26 Member

I had a 2011 QR a couple years ago and I thought it did the Hot JCM800 sound really good. Had lots of depth and balls for sure. Its VERY loud and you need to use the loop level control to act as a master volume, but I think that takes away from the dynamics of the amp. At least it sounded that way to me.
    Other than that I though Gear 1 and 2 were just OK and the cleans weren't very good unless it was cranked. Honestly, I played my DSL50 (the amp I was attempting to replace) side by side with QR and thought the DSL was more open sounding and musical. It actually helped me fall in love with the Marshall again lol.

I'm fairly impulsive and quick to depart with gear if it doesnt resonate with me immediately so I sold the QR for what I paid for it and continued to use the DSL to this day.

I play similar music to you, too

3. skeeballcore

skeeballcore Member

Thanks, may be exactly what I needed to hear.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hi , you really need to try the amp for yourself instead of going by others opinions on here! (If that's all possible) .. I have about 10 Marshalls and 2 Splawns.. .1 of the Splawns is the Supercomp which is just the 1 channel version of the Nitro , and mine is 50 watts. . It's INCREDIBLY versatile and sounds killer and does low gain stuff really well as well as high-gain , as well as deals with pedals well . My other is the Streetrod and it's also incredibly versatile . They're both more USEFULLY versatile to me than any of my Marshalls .. I also love Marshalls but I've had most of mine are modded (by Gower, Fortin , Egnater,BFG, Bradshaw, Butler, etc.) Good luck! Eric who can't find anything negative to say about Spawns yet :)

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

His testimony can definitely save you money! :) If you don't NEED to try a new amp don't. .Believe me you could be an amp addict like me and get to the point you own 25 of them like I do. . . There's definitely nothing wrong with the Marshall DSL100 and the Splawns to me are very different but you'll only know how different and whether it works for you by trying them instead of reading about them. :) Eric

6. demea26

demea26 Member

Yes, definitely. Playing the amp yourself and spending some time playing through your cab, effects and guitars is recommended.

The tone in your head may be different from mine, so as long as you can buy one cheap enough to resell it and not take a beating (I paid 1049 shipped for my 2011 QR on eBay and resold it for 1000 plus an OCD pedal), then by all means do so