How versatile is the Tonebone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Yngtchie Blacksteen, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

I'm considering getting a Tonebone Classic, but I haven't tried one. I'm sure there are many owners here, so could you tell me something about this pedal? Preferably with an emphasis on versatility.

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

The Classic is very versatile from very low gain to heavy high gain tones, If you get one just make sure you use into a clean sounding amp otherwise it wont sound good at all!

3. journo

journo Member

Hi,

When I go to gigs where there's an amp already then I always bring the Tonebone Classic. Works every time. Makes single coils sound fat too if you want.

Cheers,

Mats N

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

If by versatile you mean getting Vox/Fender/Marshall/Dual Recto tones out of the same pedal, then no is the answer.

If you mean versatile as:

- at it's lowest mid setting matches the midrange of the amp, then being able to boost it significantly (one of the main shortcomings of many pedals is not having enough mids)
    - extremely dark to extremely bright
    - being able to attenuate low end to boosting it quite a bit.
    - Having everything from low gain crunch, to really high gain

I’d say it is way more versatile than a lot of pedals, being able to put it through any amp and getting a decent tone… and with a handful of amps getting amazing sounds.

For all around distortion I think it’s the best, all just my opinion though.

5. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Thanks for the replies, guys. I just got an offer for a Tonebone Hot British, how does it compare to the Classic?

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

The Hot British is a bit "Heavier" sounding. Less versitile. The Classic can get great lower gain tones, the HB is a little more difficult to obtain these lower gain tones. I'm sure someone else can elaborate a bit more...

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I've never heard a Classic. I own a hot british though.

Like stated, it's not very versatile in general. However, as a high-gain pedalyou can get almost any hard rock sound you could ever want, from 90s alternative to 80s metal to 70s classic rock. Therefore, if you narrow your desires to high-gain distortion, this pedal is extremely versatile in that category

It's been called "slash/page in a box" for a reason. Excellent tone for high-gain stuff. I also get a great brian may type tone out of it when I use the mid-boost feature

8. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

The Tonebone is a second-guesser's worst nightmare. I had to sell mine, because I was forever convinced that a better tone was just a tweak away. Or maybe another little tweak. Or...

Arrrrggh! Flashbacks!

9. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I had the Hot British model for about a year. It's a good pedal for that type of sound, think Marshall JCM 800 mixed with a Soldano SLO.
    If your wanting a Slash or Jerry Cantrell type tone then it can do that easy. It can also pull off Joe Satriani's Crystal Planet album pretty good too. The only thing I didn't like about the pedal was when the gain was turned down, it still wouldn't clean up, though it works well with the Guitars volume knob. It's a very good pedal though.

10. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Well, the tone I'm looking for is a really fat, smooth gain, not fuzzy at all, primarily for soloing. I've tried a few pedals like the MSD Paranoid Distortion, and while it had a nice fat tone, it sounded a bit waspy and digital as I turned the gain up. Not a lot, but enough to turn me off it as my main distortion pedal.

Think Kee Marcello on Europe's Out Of This World album, something like that.

11. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

One of the best guitar albums of the '80's... for tone and technique. Kee can play! Highly under-rated.:dude

A

12. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Damn straight. Great phrasing and vibrato, and tasty licks coupled with fancy chops. What's not to like? Forget Final Countdown, this is what Europe's supposed to sound like. Love that album.

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

The TB Classic isn't fuzzy. It's very smooth and tight. Another pedal I love is the Keeley Modded RAT, BUT it is a bit "fuzzy". So I know what you mean.

14. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I just went back to the TB Classic and was able to dial it in real quick sounds great with my Deluxe Reverb RI. Definitely a nice smooth distortion with a singing lead tone, It has plenty of gain for most styles if I had to describe what it sounds like I would say it has more of a Mesa Boogie tone.

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Using my marshall AVT, GIbson LP, and Tonebone HB, I was able to dial in a tone virtually indecipherable (done with the actual recording for comparison) from the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine. Only if you directly A/B-ed it would you hear the differences, but a layman,even then, would probably not even notice. Smooth, full, and you can keep a crowd in the same suspense as a woman when you start off light and slow and teasing, and once in a while, unpredictably giving a fiery burst of passion. That tone is just aching to go all the way.

No, I'm not French.

Oh, and the knobs are extremely sensitive. For example, when the tone was a little off from my goal, just turning the "low" knob a 1/4 level would make a huge difference.

The dude who said "it's a second-guessers nightmare" is bang on the money.

Finally, the way I set it was missing something. It completely slipped my mind that the intro is played with gobs of reverb. Once I turned that on, I felt like the aforementioned woman