How was the mood on the day we landed on the moon?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by braveheart, Jul 20, 2019.

1. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

I was at army cadet camp and was in the hospital with tonsillitis. Saw it on the tv there. Four years later I got my tonsils out. At age 18 that was no fun at all.

2. Timcito

Timcito Member

I was 10 years old. I don't think I was aware of it, or if I was, I certainly wasn't aware of its significance. I have no recollection of the day.

3. blaster

blaster Member

I remember watching it on TV and being thrilled about someone being on the Moon.

Eric Rowland likes this.
  4. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

16 about to turn 17. Watched at my grandfather’s house. I was very interested but nothing like my Pop.

He grew up in a house with a dirt floor, no electricity or indoor plumbing.

You might say he was over the moon.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  5. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

6. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Or should I say
    [​IMG]

7. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

8. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

I was 10, and "recovering" from two assasinations in 68, riots, "the whole world's watching" from the DNC in Chicago where Mayor Daly had people crushed by police, 'Nam every day on the news. My memory was too vivid. It was less than a year after I shook hands with RFK in my home town, and he was shot just 3 weeks later. Moon shot was the coolest thing, but it was also a much needed positive in an era bookmarked by huge soul crushing negatives. It was summer, so no school, I watched every minute of it, same with almost every mission.

Mad Wombat, spunky, rockon1 and 3 others like this.
  9. Fred132

Fred132 Member

Everyone, and I mean everyone, was glued to their TV.

10. DIECHEATO

DIECHEATO Member

It was a very proud moment in our history. It was a small step for man but a major leap for mankind.

Sidney Vicious likes this.
  11. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Granted I was six but distinctly sensing that the world had kind of stopped for this based on the buzz from friends, school, media and neighbors . I was also obsessed by space for the next 4 or 5 years. I can’t really think of anything since then that has captivated the world as much. I remember watching it but sure I saw the exact moment I definitely remember being allowed to stay up late to watch it happen on a crappy B&W TV and barely seeing the shadow of him stepping down.

12. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

The mood? Well, my father was all in a fluster over my older brother eating all of his expensive pipe tobacco, while my mother was hiding in the garden shed away from the rest of the family getting ready for a butter carving competition. Even though when she re-emerged from the shed, my mother always smelled of extra dry gin and wet dog, it was worth it when she brought home the 1st Place trophy. As for myself, this was during my phase as a child when I would wrap myself up in a blanket and hide in the crawlspace whenever the world became too much for me to bare, so I ended up missing everything that day.

13. PB+J

PB+J Member

I was ten. It was extremely exciting even though the actual visuals were kind of “meh.” We all got to stay up later than usual. It was cool. I remember going out and looking at the moon after it happened. In my memory it was full, but that’s not right.

Daren Anderson likes this.
  14. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

My brain reads this in Phil Hartman's voice, followed by a sigh and the phrase "good times"

15. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

We had a color TV, so all the kids were at my house. We watched them land on the moon, then when we found out it would be hours before they exited the lander, we begged my dad to take us to McD's. At first he was "We'll miss it!", but gave in. We got back in plenty of time.

Daren Anderson likes this.
  16. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Member

I was 16 - space travel was captivating- we watched the take offs the splash-downs the carrier-deck recoveries - all of it. Shepard in space - Glenn in orbit. Grew up with it. So we watched when Armstrong stepped out onto the moon. Those men were heroes - with nerves of titanium.

17. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

My father had flown a combat mission that day along Highway One in Vietnam, he stated there wasn't a lot of celebrating it was more disbelief. It was as if some other Untied States had accomplished this while the one overseas was forgotten. My father thought "...here I am bombing f'ing monkey's in the jungle and getting shot at and we just landed on the Moon, what the hell?!?" A complicated era for sure...

My memories are of everyone being nuts about this, but I was too young to understand the significance. I watched every other mission though as they progressed.

And not to be Pub-Downer guy, I still stand in awe of all of this as does my father. It was just scitzophenric, much like the times...

18. DCross

DCross Supporting Member

I was 5, so I should remember it, but I just don't recall seeing it live. Other missions - yes - and we did watch them in school when they occurred during the school year, which is probably what's confusing some of us here.

But when I watch video of it now, I tear up every time - I don't really know why. Maybe because it is one of the "myths" that I know with certainty is true. And if we did that, and in the dark ages of 1969... well, then we humans can damn near do anything if we join together and set our minds to it. I believe that with my heart, soul and mind.

It would be a shame for us to ruin it all via hate and war.

19. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I did but, for ex,, I did not stay up to watch (I was 14). It was a huge deal, of course.

20. DCross

DCross Supporting Member

Just Googled the time - Neil Armstrong stopped onto the surface of Wally (the moon's secret name) at 10:56 PM Eastern time. I was probably sound asleep as a 5 year old. Dang!

I do recall squinting up at Wally and trying to see them walking around on one of the other missions. (Hey, give me a break, I was 5).

Sidney Vicious likes this.