How welcoming is todays market to a newly produced Non-Master Volume Head ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rock Fella, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Ive been following the threads about the new Komet Concorde, I know Big Hair has imported a Komet 60 into the UK from the USA and I know that Marshall are getting great feedback from the 1959HW head, of course all of those amps are Non-Master Volume type.

I can honestly say, Ive never played a Non-Master Volume Head, in my instance , my amps have to be able to be used at gigs and at home, I had considered a Marshall 1987X Head at one point but its pretty clear this is one for the stage only in terms of volume.

Id love to try a NMV head at about 3 o clock and beyond on the volume and put a boost in front to see does it go into blistering overdrive with superb string seperation, I imagine that those NMV`s "breathe" better than a Master Vol Head.

Only thing stopping me from buying a NMV head is , I suppose, the sheer volume , I only use my pod 2.0 for home recording, if im working on a bit of music, Ill use the Hellcat, which has a great master volume, its the kind of amp I can lift off the stage yet play at home too . I certainly do wonder what Im missing out on by not having a NMV head , with my R9 , I imagine there would be mighty tones in there.

Do you think the buying musician in 2006 is still looking for new NMV heads, I know a 72 Superlead will sell with ease, but what about a NEW NMV head , is there still a demand and market or will they be viewed as a niche product.

Perhaps some TGPers in design, sales and marketing of musical equipment would like to chip in alongside the regular contributors, certainly make for interesting reading.

Jimmy

2. cameron

cameron Member

Lots of the boutique manfacturers are primarily making amps without MV. Dr. Z is a good example. I think in his current line only the 6545 has an MV, and even that only has the MV in one of the two channels.

I own ten or twelve amps, and not one in my current stable has an MV.

3. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I've been playing guitar for almost 20 years but only paying real attention to gear in the last year or so (yeah I cared about gear, but I didn't know much about it and relied on word of mouth -- that God for the internet), so I'm not the best one to speak to trends. I does seem to me, however, that there is bit of a renaissance in insterest in NMV amps. The mere fact that Marshall is reissuing some is evidence of this.

There are also a ton of boutique builders making NMV amps.

If you want one, but are frightened off by the volume, consider an 18 watt marshall or power scaling or both.

Best,

Martin

4. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I'm no pro...but I gig about 30 - 40 times a year. I've always been perplexed by the folks buying 60, 80, and 100 watt amps. I wish I could play the venues that allowed me to use such beasts. I played one indoor venue that I had my Marshall on 4.5. Very large bar, large wooden stage that was 3 feet high...it was tonal heaven. However, the majority of the bars I play require no more than 30 watts.

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I have a Marshall 1959 SLP, and I love it.
    I am darn sure that it is a bit to much amp for me, but I sure do enjoy the dynamics of maxing out pedals and lowering it's volume, and switching off pedal volume and hearing that TONE from the output tubes when cranking up the amp on occasion.
    Take care,
    Mass

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I've never had my Super Goldtone (quad EL84) amp over 6 with the master volume, and that's with low efficiency G12M speakers (96/97 db rating), and without the channel volumes dimed, either (usually run those around 2:00 with the gain on 11:00)...which means I'm lucky to be using more than 20-25 watts max...with my H75 speakers (99/100dv output) I run the master at 4, and that's at a bar that's around 4000 square feet.

Consequently a non master volume head would have to be in the 20-25 watt range to be usable for both clean & gain in that same bar situation I described above...which is one reason I had the Major Crunch amp built, because sub 20 watts doesn't give you enough clean headroom, and over 30 watts (+/-) doesn't break up enough without pedals. Mind you, I do it all from my guitar volume knobs, and rarely use pedals at all, so being in the camp that "turns down for clean, and up for OD" that makes the right wattage in an amp pretty important to be matched to the venue size you're playing, for the best effect & tone.

7. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more. 30-40 watts is the perfect power for a local working musician. Any more and you're not letting it breath, and any less you have no clean headroom.

8. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

for me there are guitar amplifiers and then there are master volume guitar amplifiers.
    i don't own any of the latter.

9. MLG8675

MLG8675 Member

I have both MV and NMV marshalls, and I quite like the tone of a NMV with a hotplate. Sure lots of people will say just get an 18 watter and crank that up rather than attenuate a larger amp, but to me there's just something about EL34's. I say if you like the tone of the 1987x, get one, but make sure you get an attenuator too, b/c they are loud!

:RoCkIn

10. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Power Scaling would be my choice if I ever went to a volume reduction situation.

Divided by 13's product line consists of mostly non-master volume amps. Luckily, in my situation, volume is not an issue, so I lean towards amps without a MV.

11. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Wasn't that why Yngwie was buying up all the 72-73 50 watt Marshall JMP NMV heads for dirt cheap because no one wanted them. So, he wasn't the only he knew how good they sounded opened up.:AOK

12. rooster

rooster Member

My amp has no MV on the "clean" side, and 2 switchable MV's on the OD side. Works great.

rooster.

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I've been gigging a 50 watt Reihardt with a hotplate for close to a year now, and absolutely love it! I use close mic'd 1x12 cabs to cut down on stage volume projection, yet still get enough volume out of them to interact with the strings. I run the hotplate on it's third or 8 ohm click. I can go higher if there is a lot of noise absorbing materials in the room. I also place sound blocking items in the front and in the rear of the cab sometimes. It isn't hard to gig with at all.

On the other hand, nearly all amps with the master volume mods sound kind of thin to me and just don't seem to clean up as well with my guitar's volume knob. The dynamics of a nonmaster amp alone are worth it to me.:)

14. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

What I find interesting about this even though MV amps have a pre-amp circuit and NMV amps don't you can still run a MV amp with using very little if any pre-amp and crank the volume as you would on a NMV amp so I really don't see the advantge of a NMV amp. If you don't like pre-amp overdrive then you don't have to use it but its there if you want it. I have both a 60 watt Naylor master vol amp and I just picked up a 18 Gabriel low carb NMV amp. The Gab basically needs to be dimed to get some drive out of it and its still to clean for my tastes. The max vol is about 1 o'clock and then it starts to clip from that point on. Its kind of a neat sound but way to loud for the room and not really loud enough to really push air in a live situation with a decently loud band. I would say the ideal wattage for a non-master vol amp in a live situation would be about 30 watts.

15. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Well I for one have found something in the NMV models that I just dont hear in MV's
    It must be power tube distortion.
    I think that the older NMV amps have simpler circuits than most amps with a MV control so thats probarbly what Im hearing also.
    I will say this though.
    I wont be considering a MV amp anytime soon because Im just way too happy with my old 50w super lead.
    I dont think its too loud for most of the venues my band plays either, I usually have it close to flat out and sometimes even find that I need more volume..
    I work in a Music retail store so Im constantly trying new amps n stuff but I just cant better the NMV's for big, harmonically rich, tone

16. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

What do you mean when you say that NMV amps don't have a pre-amp circuit?:confused:

17. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member