How Well Can You Play in a Totally Dark Room?

slider

I mean play lead along with a song. Just playing some chords is probably not too tough.
I did a backyard party a while ago, and wished I had brought along my own tiki torch.
I know we're supposed to be able to play without looking at the fretboard, but when changing positions, I need to look. Also for slide, I need to look.
Have you mastered blindfold playing?

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Playing in the dark, while singing, while playing keys, or while in front of an audience. Yeah, it's not always as easy as guys like Prince made it look.

EADGBE

I can play OK but not great in complete darkness. I need to see what I'm doing for best results.

veinbuster

I play in the dark a fair bit. I find lead easier than frequent chord changes because with lead I only need the reference point of where I started.

CRBMoA

When I first taught myself to play 35+ years ago, I made a choice to play in a room with no lights, so I wouldn't have to look.

Paleolith54

I mean play lead along with a song. Just playing some chords is probably not too tough.
I did a backyard party a while ago, and wished I had brought along my own tiki torch.
I know we're supposed to be able to play without looking at the fretboard, but when changing positions, I need to look. Also for slide, I need to look.
Have you mastered blindfold playing?
Carlos Santana advised playing in a dark room as a way to learn to just let the music flow. I never really tried it.

edwarddavis

Gold Supporting Member
Way different tone and vibe in a dark room
I personally like about 57 light candles when I perform plus or minus 5

bricel24

Silver Supporting Member
I sometimes practice with the lights out with only some ambient lighting (small lamp or the LEDs on my pedals LOL) to challenge myself.

Guitarworks

Well as long as I have my MOONGLOW inlays, it should be fine.

MoonGlow.jpg

slider

Yeah, our bassist has an Alembic with markers that light up. That's cheating though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom