How well do Tylers hold their value? Are they worth the bills?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by KennethC, Jan 15, 2008.

1. KennethC

KennethC Member

Hey fellas,

I'm on the brink of paying 4 spanking grand and some change for a new Tyler SE...but I wonder if I'd lose a lotta cash in the event that I ever decide to let it go. I'm really keen on getting one built to my desired specs, but my conscience is also pricking me ever so intently. I keep telling myself a Tyler is def worth the bills, so I shouldn't think too much abt paying a premium for one, esp built to specs that I like.

What has your experience been, and should I take the plunge?

btw, I currently have a Yuriy masterbuilt '64 vintage spec-ed strat, and was thinking of a more modernistic strat (SSH config with mid boost, yada yada) to complement the small arsenal I have.

thanks in advance guys

2. jekyll & hyde

jekyll & hyde Member

Hi Kenneth,

I suggest that you get an approval period from the dealer if you are ordering out of state. Most reputable dealers will usually agree to 24-48hrs.

As for resale, they typically sell used in the mid 2ks? Throughout the past 2-3 years I have played over a dozen of them. I do believe even though they are consistent in playability and overall quality,some were good but most were exceptional. My favorite is the solid mamywo body w/maple neck-fingerboard. Definately my 1st choice for a strat style guitar.

One more thing... with a custom order you will get the guitar of your specs, not necessarily the guitar of your dreams. Something to think about.

Good luck!

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

4 large for an SE? My last one was a lot less than that brand new. I spec'ed a custom order out with a birdseye upcharge (hefty!) with mid-boost, and it was less than 4k. You might want to shop around some more.

To answer your question, their value holds pretty good compared to other boutiques. But I've not seen a used SE go for more than, say $2600. Maybe things have changed since he's slowed down production some, but I wouldn't count on it.

4. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

SOunds like you are getting that from a certain store in chicago...that is alot for that guitar. However my friend did sell his plain gold elite on ebay for 3500.00 2 months ago..I think someone here ended up with it. It depends on the market. They also had a price increase in november that dkaplowitz may not be aware of...BTW, I can't wait to see that Burning water with the new maple FB and no inlays!

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

It's my understanding that Tyler isn't taking any further dealer orders at all.

6. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Heard Wayne Krantz (NYC great) with Steely Dan and his sounded really nice. But $4K is mucho dinero. Contact Make 'N Music in Chicago or go to their site and see what they're charging for one. Time to price shop a bit; good luck!

7. Kappy

Kappy Member

O yeah, I've talked with a shop in Chicago about some of their Tylers and I just found their prices a bit too high for my taste.

I'd recommend the OP call Tyler directly and find out how much to build one custom with the same specs. It'd be worth the wait, IMO.

8. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

Try wildwood guitars, they are usually pretty fair with pricing. better than make-n-music IMHO

9. jekyll & hyde

jekyll & hyde Member

I have dealt with them many times and walked away with a good deal. It's called haggling!! I should hope you are wise enough to avoid paying MSRP!! I have my opinions about the way many dealers do business, but I don't think it's fair to trash them. I don't think it's a good idea to single any dealer out in a negative way on this forum.

10. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I am not trashing anyone...just saying that they like to hold to their guns on MSRP for Tyler guitars....they can, so more power to'em

11. Kappy

Kappy Member

That's what I was doing, haggling. And I kept getting the sales pitch that it was the best price going. I proceeded to get one for about $600. less from another dealer.

BTW, you'll notice that I didn't even name the shop, so stop crying. Besides, what makes the gear page better, honest opinions or people who won't tell the truth for fear of offending someone?

12. jekyll & hyde

jekyll & hyde Member

First off, who's crying? You don't need to name the shop, everyone knows that they're the only Tyler dealer in Chicago. I've had similar experiences with other Tyler dealers not haggling. Oh well, they can keep their guitar,I'll take my business elsewhere no harm done.

13. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

A little info. Tyler controls both their dealers and the amount of discount available which is why his guitars hold their value. With the limited availabilty, I do not believe anyone is discounting them at the moment.

4K? I think only you can determine if that is fair.

I have paid for 5 of them and have no regrets.

Used Tyler prices are steadily increasing now that Jim is limiting production.

Used SE's are trading for much more than they did a year ago so I would think it would be a worthwhile.

Matt

14. KennethC

KennethC Member

Studio Elite HD, Mamywo body, Flame Maple neck and fingerboard,

Kluson tuners, white pearl pickguard with JTS2500 single coils and Tyler Super humbucker, midboost preamp, G2RV bridge

Black with Blue Shmear finish
    Glossy Finish Option
    Mid Boost Preamp Bypass Button

This is my order...

does it sound like 4k worth of specs to you, considering a poss price hike by Tyler as mentioned in one of the posts above?

:(

15. KennethC

KennethC Member

Thanks Matt.

This may v possibly change in 1-1.5 yrs' time then, once and if full production resumes?

16. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

It's anybodys guess- You will never see a sub 2K Tyler.

17. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Get in contact with Tyler... he's as cool as they come and you will get information and pricing straight from the man himself!

18. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

My Tyler is my most freqiently played axe by far. I lucked out getting one here for a good price (thanks Mark Williams!), but I would most definitely pay the new price if I had no other choice.

19. KennethC

KennethC Member

Thanks, I agree Tyler is pretty cool (or at least his daughter is :) ), and I did get the quote from them directly...

Just wanted to know what I'd be in for if I ever decided that I had to let it go. :)

20. KennethC

KennethC Member

I think I'd be rather suspicious if I ever saw a sub-2K Tyler. ;)

Thanks for your thoughts!