How Were BF Fender Amps EQ'd?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by emjee, Jun 2, 2015.

1. emjee

emjee Member

I have a little BF Vibro Champ and I found an old MXR EQ
    pedal in my closet. After plugging it in, this this raised the question
    of how the amp was EQ'd stock.
    Are the BF Fenders eq'd to have a scooped mid? Boosted mid, or flat all
    the way across...thanks.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. garret

garret Member

All amps have scooped mids due to the high amount of mids naturally output by the pickups.

The tone stacks in tube amps have an effect on one another. So just a Treble and Bass tone stack does have an effect on the resulting mids.

To see the effect use the Tone Stack Calculator and plug in the appropriate values.
    http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  3. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

There is a difference between the twin voicing, the Super Reverb (more mids) and the other blackface models (basically 3 categories if I understand correctly, with the twin being by itself). I don't know for fact, but I always felt the non-reverb blackface bandmaster sounded a lot like a super. Henry at redplate can explain it as some of his amp models allow one to switch between blackface voicings.

4. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Fender amps are generally considered to be relatively scooped. The BF circuit was less scooped than the SF circuit. But scooped is a really general term that implies a valley, of some sort, within the midrange. Every amp has some peaks and valleys in its frequency response. Also, amps vary regarding how broad their frequency response is - to my ear, my Mesa sounds like the lows are lower and the highs are higher than my Fender... How low the lows are depends on the circuit, as well as the type of tubes and size of the output transformer (not to mention the speaker and cabinet). These things also affect how the amp sounds and feels - how fast the amp is, or how articulate vs muddy the bass is...