How will a refin change the tone of a guitar?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Relicula, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

If I decided to refin one of my guitars, what change in tone would take place if I went from poly to nitro?

2. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

I don't know but good luck on stripping that poly.

3. 1guitarslinger

1guitarslinger Member

Depending on the guitar and the color of the poly, you may not like what you find under the poly.

LOL@ Heinz Ketchup™

4. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I am not worried about stripping, or whats under the poly, I am wondering if there are any changes that may be typical to a guitars tone after being refinned.

5. Curt

Curt Member

*I* don't think it makes any difference how many coats, or how thick the coats, or whether it's Poly or Nitro, on a solid body guitar. Now, an accoustic or hollowbody? That's a different story.

6. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

1st. Stripping poly done it many a time. Enjoy your heat gun.
    2nd. Predicting the change is darn near imposible. When I have done it I find the thick poly dip done by many factories just doesnt let the body resonate.
    3rd. Properly done and not to thick I dont think poly or nitro make much difference. A thin poly finish is easier to do. IMHO Ymmv

7. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I've gone from nitro to urethane on numerous occasions and could hear no difference myself. My urethane finishes are considered fairly thin, but not as thin as the nitro that was previously on.

Fwiw,

Larry

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I tend to agree with Curt. I haven't done a poly to nitro refin but after the nitro to nitro refin on my '62 Strat, there was no discernible difference in tone.

This requires, of course, that the refin be done just right. In this case, it meant months of taking time to use exactly the right undercoats, no. of base & top coats, letting the nitro cure out for at least 2-3 weeks between coats, etc.

But in the end, the fabulous tone was still there.

9. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I'm in the process of refinishing my Tom Anderson. Stripping was easy with a heat gun and a scrapper. I'm in the process of priming the body, and its a pain to get everything just right. I want to take my time and sand out all of the primer defects before I shoot on the color (Inca Silver). I learned the hard way that the prep needs to be flawless if you expect a good finish.

10. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

The finish is only as good as what's on the bottom. That especially goes for prep work. Most people have no idea what it takes to do a great paint job. My average time is 9-11 hours per body only. Pretty crazy huh?

Not very profitable if you're doing it for a living. Luckily, I do it as a hobby and a little extra cash, otherwise I would go broke.:) I could do it faster, but the quality would suffer.

So, good luck and take your time.

11. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

You won't know until it's done.