How will an Orange Rocker 30 do...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dumbass, Feb 19, 2009.

1. dumbass

dumbass Member

...Jimi Hendrix (both distorted with added fuzz and clean tones)
    Led Zeppelin
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Black Sabbath Ozzy-era
    Lynyrd Skynrd
    With a strat and les paul?

2. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I had one for a while, I thought it was pretty good. I did Zepp stuff with it and ZZ Top, it's perfect for that darker mid range tone but lacks definition.
    The clean channel is pretty flat and lifeless though. Good amp though, you should have no trouble covering most of that.

3. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

I didn't like running fuzzes through my Rocker's dirt channel - never sounded right to me...the clean channel gives you a better platfordm for pedals, but (like the Rockerverb series), some OD's/fuzzes work better than others - you have to play around with different pedals to find the right combo.

I play the in the same style as the artists you listed - the Rocker can easily get you into that territory. I recommend adding a good eq pedal for shaping the clean channel.

4. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

That's quite a range of styles there, encompassing a number of different amps as used by those bands. Although I'm a firm believer that you can pretty closely cop any sound with any amp -- with certain limitations, of course. Certainly within the lexicon of rock n'roll. However, I do have a Rocker 30, and I don't know that it's quite what you're looking for given that you're coming from a real classic rock place. Maybe a vintage 70's or 80's Orange, but that will cost you. I'm actually seriously considering selling or trading my Rocker 30. It's not a bad amp at all, it's just that I'm on a higher powered amps kick at the moment. And I'm guessing given the bands in your post, you also may want to look a little higher up on the power scale. If you want to stick with Orange, maybe the Rockerverb 50? I don't have one, so I can't say from experience.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Member

If you can afford it, go with a RV50 head and a 1x12 or 2x12 open back cab. You will also do much better with greenback type speakers rather than V30's for those tones. I love my RV50 setup.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  6. somedude

somedude Member

I play some (though not neccissarily all) of the stuff listed. I found my Rocker 30 underpowered. It was plenty loud... just no headroom. Much happier with the Rockerverb 50.

7. dumbass

dumbass Member

I'd love to hear about another amp with a similar price point that does the listed things better. Any opinions?

How much headroom does the clean-channel have? Can i expect to be able to play clean at pretty high volumes? (Our drummer is pretty loud)

8. dumbass

dumbass Member

Sorry for bumping. Anyone have any opinions on my two last questions?

9. Jazz2Punk

Jazz2Punk Member

I own a Rockerverb 50 and it won't cover all of that territory imo. I love the dirty channel but don't care much for the clean channel. I'll probably sell it but I'm having trouble letting go of it at the moment.

10. madryan

madryan Member

A Mesa DC series preferably the DC-5 or DC-10 will do most of that well.

11. dumbass

dumbass Member

Jazz2Punk: What do you think it doesn't cover well?
    madryan: I'll look into that. Are they still in production? I can't seem to find it new or used in Norway.

12. madryan

madryan Member

No, mine was one of the last built and it was made in Dec of '98.

13. Jazz2Punk

Jazz2Punk Member

Great for Zep and Sabbath, not so good for SRV and Jimi cleans. Just my opinion though. Some people seem to dig the cleans.

I love the dirt channel so much though that it'll be hard to part with should I eventually do so.