• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How worn are your frets?

stratele

I'm starting to get a few grooves, but not causing any playing issues.
Anyone playing with seriously worn frets?

bob-i

I don't like grooves in frets, so I dress them lightly when they start to show. I can typically go 2-3 years before I need to dress them.

slider

I got divots. Gonna get a re-fret soon. Doesn't bother me playing lead, but I think the lack of proper intonation shows when playing chords. Not real obvious, but I think it will sound sweeter and more precise when re-fretted.

Custom 24

The frets on one of my strats have no crown left on them...they're completely flat on top. And yes it's a hassle to play

WoodyStrat

My main strat is going in for its first refret. But I have been playing flat frets for awhile now!

SmoothRiffs

I've seen grooves and flat, shiny fret tops noticeably developing under my unwound strings over the past year after I changed my playing style to include much more lead riffing and string bends. I did get worried and have tried different string brands, but it hasn't made much difference, and I know my guitars are set up properly. I'm trying to pay attention to use a light touch. I did some internet research; general consensus seems to be it's just a normal consequence of playing.

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
I have my own guitar repair shop, and I hear the same story from my customers... they bring me their guitar for a fret level/recrown saying the frets are a bit worn, but it still plays OK. They can't believe how much better it plays when they get it back!

Amplite

Most guitars with worn frets can be leveled and re-crowned at least once before a re-fret is needed. Here's a photo of one I did this year. Like Stormin1155 said "They can't believe how much better it plays!"

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
A couple of small groove on some frets on my Les Paul Special but my SG & Les Paul Classic have both been refretted with Stainless Steel frets and still look like new.
The SG has seen about 2 years of playing and the frets don't even have the slightest mark on them.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
My guitars have SS frets.

So... basically, they are still brand new.

JJ Fux

I've had my Strat since '01-'02. It was brand new.

After 5-6 years, the fret wires were worn out. So, in 2007, I took my guitar to a shop. To quote the repairman, "some parts were showing wood". I didn't believe him.

As of now, I'd say the wires are worn down to 20%~40% (2nd~17th fret, mostly on A,D,G,B strings). I do have troubles sliding to a note when playing a fast and articulate passage.

I have played on another identical Fender Strat with 90%~100% fret life and the difference was subtle. I am sure if I get the job done, the guitar would play much easier but I think I got used to the frets.

s2y

My guitars have SS frets.

So... basically, they are still brand new.
I have SS on most of my guitars and EVO gold on my acoustic. The acoustic is starting to show a little wear. Sign I'm playing it a lot!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom