1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How would the tascam tm-d4000 mixer do for a home studio?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JamesNylen, Nov 24, 2005.

1. JamesNylen

JamesNylen Member

I was wondering how would it hold up in a home studio I am trying to get going for recording? I would most likely get a good firewire interface(presonus firepod?) to go with it.

My setup so far is......

I have nuendo 2.0 but do most of my recording in cakewalk(Yeah you think I would like nuendo better but I find it harder to work with )access to about 60 guitars(fathers) from PRS,Fender,Gibson,Jackson you name it..and like 20 or 30 various amps(2 mesa boogie heartbreaker, 2 Marshall jcm 2000 dsl's and tsl's, 2 trace elliot custom shop heads, Fender deluxe amps...about googles of pedals and like googles of rackmount gear.
    For mastering I have Wavelab 5 and tc electronics finalizer express.
    For mikes I have access to shure beta 57s and regular 57's, 58's, 86's,Akg c1000s various big condensor mikes(cant remember off hand.)

Question is could I get a pretty decent recording sound if I were to get the board. My Father has been a sound engineer for various national acts....so I wouldnt have to worry about mixing being bad. My father hasnt had much experience with any tascam stuff so I figured Id ask here.(His current system is a Midas console and a myers lineray at his job)

I was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience with the Tascam TM-d4000?Could I get a decent home studio sound with it with a good firewire interface with the gear I currently have?(Given I do a good job recording of course) I currently have an up to date PC 3 ghz, 1gb ram. Going to get a 200gb external drive.

:) Thanks, James

Ps...pix and specs for the tascam are here http://www.5dot1.com/equipment/tm-d4000_digital_mixer.html

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I've used a lot of Tascam gear over the past 20 years, and have found it's very nice to own.

I am still using my 1992 Tascam M600 64 input analog mixer, which I've owned since it was new, and I've done tons of national ad scores with it, plus television, film work, etc., and even after all these years, I STILL like how it works and how it sounds.

It has NEVER, EVER needed service! Everything has always worked! That's almost crazy after 13 years of owning something.

There are people who kind of put Tascam gear down, but honestly...I've found it to be good-sounding stuff. I've had many compliments on the sound quality of my projects over the years, and while the board doesn't have the headroom and flexibility of something like an SSL or Neve, it was a lot lower in price.

Tascam is the "pro line" of the TEAC company, and they've usually put out excellent products.

I don't know that board, however, nor do I know how it's priced; the Yamaha digital consoles are worth looking at, and I've used them. They're excellent products.

3. JamesNylen

JamesNylen Member

I guess when it first came out it was marketed against the Yamaha 02r but with a better price. Its originally street from what Ive read online was $4300 back around 99-2000....lets just say right now there is a place that has really wacky prices sometimes (bigger company like guitar center) My father got his Finalizer express for under $300 in like new condition.Nothing wrong with the thing whatsoever.He has also gotten 2 EBMM axis in like new shape both under $500. There problem isnt the products...its the young kids(well my age.19)marking the prices.There is currently one of these there
    [​IMG]

in very good condition for under $800
    While I have seen its price just over $2000 new at musiccenterinc.com

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

The 1296 is an excellent sounding interface; I had one for years. MOTU has come out with a higher density 192 K version of it, but that one is excellent.

$800 is a typical used price.

Make sure you get one with a PCI card that works with your computer; it originally shipped with the 324 card, which didn't work with later Apple machines, so they had to come out with the 424 card, which itself had to be updated for the newer G5.

I finally said to hell with all this PCI stuff, you have to keep upgrading the cards, while the actual interface doesn't obsolete itself at all. I went with the MOTU Traveler, one of MOTU's HD firewire interfaces. Works great, sounds great, and I can stuff it in a bag with my laptop when I want to work outside my own studio.

5. JamesNylen

JamesNylen Member

actually I was going to proble go with the Motu 828MkII firewire.... Any experience with that piece of gear?

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Yes, I found it quite good sounding. I borrowed one to take to another studio for some overdubs, before I got the Traveler.

They also use several in the University of Michigan Music School's Performing Arts Technology lab, and my son often uses them there. The UM lab is no slouch; its mix room is based around a Euphonix CS200 console, and Genelec monitors, with some first class outboard gear.

7. George Hale

George Hale Member

Hey Guys

I have a TMD-4000 with the Lightpipe expansion card and a M Audio Profire Lightbridge running into a mac running Logic Pro. I have got the software to recognise the Profire Lightbridge's inputs and can play sound ou of the computer into the interface. However, when I play sound into the TMD-4000's analogue inputs the M Audio doesnt recognise them.

It could be a routing problem, would anybody know how the rig should be set up to work properly?

Thanks in advance.

George

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

You need to set the mixer [clock source] as the master and slave the lightbridge to the incoming lightpipe.