• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How would you describe a Peavey Delta Blues?

joemiracle220

i really like this amp, played it a lot, but how would you describe its tonal characteristics? Saggy, not saggy, compressed, not compressed. The only words that come to my mind are kinda fenderish, and bouncy, the clean and drive when set mid to low sound bouncy to me for lack of the proper term, and i automatically have to play all the SRV licks i know.

Say i were wanting to have an amp built. what terms would i use to describe this type of sound to a builder? mid scooped? punchy? , sag or no sag, compressed or not compressed?. like what words could i say to someone other than i like the sound of a peavey delta blues, to get those tonal characteristic in an amp. im not having an amp built it would just help me out to know how to describe what i like. in searching and reading about amps.

harpinon

The words you describe in the post denote special characteristics that finer amps employ.
Neither the delta blues nor the c30 really have much to write home about.
They make sound...that's about as far as I would go with it. Not to say they are junk...btw. just a very common sound.
You can certainly use one for some types of music.

You might get a chuckle if you ask for a hand wired version of a DB.... ill just ask....if you like it...just use the DB!

The words you describe in the post denote special characteristics that finer amps employ.
They make sound...that's about as far as I would go with it. Not to say they are junk...btw. just a very common sound.

You might get a chuckle if you ask for a hand wired version of a DB.... ill just ask....if you like it...just use the DB!
Isn't that a little harsh critic of the Delta blues or C30 ? they have great clean tone, decent reverb and a good saturated tone. It may not be that boutique two rock sound but its not bad either. for the price you can get them, its a pretty darn good amp.

joemiracle220

so since its not expensive its tonal characteristics can not be described or are not worthy of description? i understand completely..what do corks smell like?? , i would bet a months pay that if the exact same amp were made by some boutique company, people would comment on how good it sounds. ive had my share of boutique amps, some are great, some are not worth the money. bottom line if it sounds good it is good regardless if its the "in" thing to have.

plus since you mentioned it, i kinda would love to have a C30 or delta blues handwired version if they ever did that, which they wont.

HawkeyeKane

plus since you mentioned it, i kinda would love to have a C30 or delta blues handwired version if they ever did that, which they wont.
:agree

It'd be a hell of an undertaking, but yeah, it'd be awesome. Make the circuit more accessible to mods. And owners and techs alike could finally kiss those infernal folded PCB setups sayonara with much rejoicing!

dmagalhaes

Silver Supporting Member
The folded pcb's have never been an issue with mine. I've had a 30 and 50 212 for almost 20 years now, not one single issue. You don't hear of them breaking down often. The guys who complain about the PCB's are the ones who Fu^k with them and can't leave the damn things alone.

HawkeyeKane

The folded pcb's have never been an issue with mine. I've had a 30 and 50 212 for almost 20 years now, not one single issue. You don't hear of them breaking down often. The guys who complain about the PCB's are the ones who Fu^k with them and can't leave the damn things alone.
Point is if and when they DO break down (and I've seen many in local shops for repair), they're a right pain in the a$$ to fix. Every tech I've talked to detests them.

Point is if and when they DO break down (and I've seen many in local shops for repair), they're a right pain in the a$$ to fix. Every tech I've talked to detests them.
They are very reliable and the chances they will breakdown is on the low end side of things.

dmagalhaes

Silver Supporting Member
So what, they are fixable though right? Why should I care if it's easy for the tech or not. I also don't care if the guy who changes my oil spills some on his boots or if my plumber needs to fix a broken pipe at my house at 11PM. I don't buy a handwired amp (of which I have three) so that if and when it breaks down it's easier for my tech to fix, that's just stupid.

rjbee

I am by no means a tone expert, I just have decided to trust my own ears and I've come to the conclusion, for me, that the Classic 30 I have, circa 1997, is the best sounding amp I've ever owned for the money. I've owned and played through a few boutiques amps and the Classic 30 is truly, classic. I have had numerous comments on how good it sounds from people I don't even know, so here is another fan of Peavey's Classic series. I am not even tempted to employ all the mods available, as I have with the few Blues Juniors I've owned. It's fine just how it is, a paperweight that sounds great :stir

HawkeyeKane

So what, they are fixable though right? Why should I care if it's easy for the tech or not. I also don't care if the guy who changes my oil spills some on his boots or if my plumber needs to fix a broken pipe at my house at 11PM. I don't buy a handwired amp (of which I have three) so that if and when it breaks down it's easier for my tech to fix, that's just stupid.
So if, let's say, the tech you take it to has to spend more time fixing the problem because of said design aspect, and as a result charges more on the bench time to your bill, do you still not care? I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, because I don't know of any tech worth his weight in salt who wouldn't already be familiar with this design and know his way around it quickly. But if your only available local tech (warranties and authorized service centers aside) just happens to be unfamiliar with it and takes his time to make sure he does it right?

dmagalhaes

Silver Supporting Member
So if, let's say, the tech you take it to has to spend more time fixing the problem because of said design aspect, and as a result charges more on the bench time to your bill, do you still not care? I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, because I don't know of any tech who wouldn't already be familiar with this design and know his way around it quickly. But if your only local tech just happens to be unfamiliar with it and takes his time to make sure he does it right?
It would still be much cheaper than paying maybe 5 times retail for a handwired equivalent. I look at it this way, I bought my Classic 30 for $350 brand new in 1993. I have thousands and thousands of hours on it with maybe 5 sets of power tubes not to mention the money I have earned with it. If it blew up tomorrow, caught on fire, and was beyond repair, would you say I got my monies worth?

harpinon

so since its not expensive its tonal characteristics can not be described or are not worthy of description? i understand completely..what do corks smell like?? , i would bet a months pay that if the exact same amp were made by some boutique company, people would comment on how good it sounds. ive had my share of boutique amps, some are great, some are not worth the money. bottom line if it sounds good it is good regardless if its the "in" thing to have.

Ok, ok.

Ice-pick through the ears into the brain high end
Warm, soft midrange.
Loose low end.
The amps dirt is slushy and distant.

Thats just what these ears hear. I tried dozens of tubes and speakers with only marginal improvements.

Not a hater and certainly not a cork sniffer.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
To answer your question - I spent several hours one morning at Elderly in Lansing, MI. and while I was there a very good player was auditioning a Delta Blues 1X15 combo. He played very well, and ran a Tele, Les Paul and finally a Strat through the amp. Elderly's amp room is not that big, and he was a tasty player so the other two guys in the room let him have "right of way", we all kind of joined in as the audience for his amp audition. The Delta Blues sounded very articulate with all the guitars, and he was running it at about 5 on vol., which is a good club level volume, but not screaming. The mids were more tweed in nature, certainly more present than any blackface voiced amp. At 5, the amp was not pushing the power tubes of the 1X15 by any means, but each guitar sounded like "that" guitar. You didn't have to look over to know what he was playing. In all, I remember thinking that the Delta Blues amp was a very good sounding amp - it was mostly clean in that setting, so it's hard to judge the OD channel, he didn't really switch to that ch. With a "premium" OD pedal that amp would sing. For the money, for blues, or blues rock, it's hard to think of a more traditional voiced amp that sounds that good for what you'll pay, especially a clean used one. I know they make a 2X10 version of that amp too, but this was the 1X15. Good Hunting.

Chukster

Nice review Doublescale1! I have a 2x10 version, and your descriptions are right on the money. I'm sure the 15 is overall a fuller sounding than mine, but I was in the market for a 2x10 amp as an alternate to my Deluxe Reveb and Working Dog 1x12s. Mine is probably a little punchier and centered tone-wise than the 15, but after switching around the tubes a bit, it has a beautiful, vintage style, almost tweedy warm tone that fits the bill for me. Very reasonably priced in the used market too!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom