How would you ground this bridge.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by John Coloccia, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Drill a small hole from control cavity to under the baseplate run a wire from the usual back-of-the-pot ground and ... usual practice is to leave a loop of bare wire to be crushed between the plate and the body ... Me being a maniac might attempt using a very large hot iron with a bit of flux and tack soldering the wire to the base plate. If it's gold plated that'll go. If it's chrome then it would have to go to the base metal if it's brass or steel.

2. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I'm trying something a bit different on this lastest one. I'm drilling a hole, inserting a spring and attaching a ground wire to the spring. I may start doing that for tunomatic posts too. I never really liked the smoosh-the-wire method, though I'll admit it works fine.

3. PhilF

PhilF Member

I do the smoosh method, but it goes:

Body - Bare wires - piece of shielding tape (conductive on both sides) - bridge.

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I have a roll of thin copper sheet that I use in situations like this. I cut a pad about the size of a dime or nickel with a little tail on one side. I solder a wire to the tail and fish the wire & tail into a previously drilled hole. Then mount the bridge sandwiching the copper pad between the bridge & the body.

5. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

I'm with you on both points, yes, the wire mash seems to work but there's a sort of rock solid aesthetic that it lacks. Hell, drill and tap for a ground screw.

Let us know how the spring loading works out.

6. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Just did it a few minutes ago. Works great, but what absolute and complete waste of time and energy. Bah. I'll continue smooshing until I find something better. Maybe a large pogo pin? I dunno, but I'm done with this for now. LOL.