How would you guys route this setup?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tanner Vix, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

What is your guys' opinions on how I should route my new setup I know there isn't a set way but many of you have much more knowledge than I do in this area. I want to keep the dl4 and mm4 into the amp not fx loop of the triple rectifier. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to hangin with you in the future!

Peterson Strobostomp
    Ernie Ball 6166
    Fulltone Clyde
    Barber Tone Press
    TIMMY
    MM4
    DL4

... and... what's the difference of using the tuner pedal out on the 6166 vs using it between the guitar and the pedal itself?

2. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Ernie Ball 6166>Peterson Strobostomp (silent tuning)

Fulltone Clyde

Barber Tone Press

TIMMY

MM4

DL4

4. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Here's my "church" rig

[​IMG]

into a Maz 18 Jr 1-12. My Strobo is on the Looper for silent tuning.

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

The order I'd start with would be

Wah
    ODs
    Compressor
    Volume -> Tuner

The wah goes first because they generally prefer to have an unbuffered input.

I dunno if you stack your ODs or run 'em one at a time. If the former, it'll take some experimentation to decide which order works best for you. If the latter, go with whatever is easiest to lay out.

Compression after OD gives greater transient response in the ODs. If you want to smooth out that response, run the compressor before your ODs.

If you want to use the volume pedal to adjust the dirt level in your ODs, put it before the ODs. I prefer to use it for overall volume and control dirt from the guitar.

Using the tuner out of the volume pedal helps keep the tuner from loading down the signal chain when not in use. It's probably not a big deal either way.

6. Madsman

Madsman Member

The volume pedal will have an effect on tone. It seems to me that there's a difference to the sound, no matter how you use it... if it's in a straight line or if you use the tuner output and the regular output. It's a little irritating.

What I'd probably do, is put the Vol either first or last, and otherwise, the order would be tuner (true bypass mode) Clyde, Timmy, Tone Press, MM, DD. Where you put that tuner shouldn't matter all that much.

This rig would probably benefit from an Axess BS/2 or other similar buffer.

7. somedude

somedude Member

Clyde -> Tone Press -> EB Volume (tuner off tuner out) -> Timmy -> MM4 -> DL4

8. ABKB

ABKB Member

Hey Tanner and PTL, fellow church player here!

I always like to keep modulation type of effects at the end of my run, dirt in the middle, and tuners, wha's and compression at the beggining. The reason I like the dirt after the comp is I dont want the dirt being squished up anymore than it already is, though I know others prefer different. There are no rules so whatever sounds best. I put my Volume pedal near the very end, but not at the end. To explain, if I am doing volume swells, I do not want the delay sound cut off when I lower the volume, so I put the volume pedal, then the delay going to the amp. So in you rig it would look like this.
    Peterson Strobostomp>Fulltone Clyde>Barber Tone Press>TIMMY>MM4>Ernie Ball 6166>DL4>Amp

The reason for the Wah going before the comp is I use the comp to try and somehwat keep the volume in check on the wah. But part of the fun of effects is trying to get your own sound and some of that is experimenting with the order, so that is just what I do, something else may work better for you.

9. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

Thanks for all the input fellas... I have a lot of work to do today and tomorrow!

Yeah, there definitely isn't a set way as there is a lot of preference but I wanted some feedback as to how you guys would use what I had. I'm going to mix/match the order to see what I like!

Jakeddy, it looks like you have 2 little blocks of black foamy material on your board. Where did you find that?

10. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

It's some stuff from inside a SKB keyboard case. They give you way too much for "custom" fitting their one size fits all cases. It helps keep the pedals from being knocked loose when I'm moving around.

For what it's worth, I only use my comp as a clean boost. I don't like my OD's messed with much, except for some delay sometimes.