How would you line these pedals up?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nsriley, Jan 17, 2008.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

Tuner, Digitech EX7, Vox Wah, Phase 90, Klon(clean boost), Pink Flesh, Screwdriver, Honeybee, Tejas, Retrosonic Chorus, MP Deep Blue Delay, Verbzilla

Thanks.

2. nsriley

nsriley Member

3. jpv0209

jpv0209 Member

Harmony Central has a good artical about this. Go here:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/guitar_effects_guide/

Usually you'll want to go like this: 1) G, Preamp (clean boost); 2) H, Compressor; 3) B, Distortion; 4) J, Wah-wah pedal; 5) C, Chorus/Flanger; 6) I, Delay (some people put after volume though, myself included); 7) A, EQ; 8) D, Noise Gate; 9) F, Volume Pedal; 10) E, Digital Reverb.

But its really what sounds best to you in the end.

4. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I'd start here:

Phase 90
    Vox Wah
    Pink Flesh
    Screwdriver
    Tejas
    Honeybee
    Digi EX7
    Klon
    Retrosonic Chorus
    Verbzilla
    MP Deep Blue Delay
    Tuner

Alot is going to depend on how some of your buffered pedals worth with the TB pedals. That Phase 90 is probably going to suck some tone....so not sure if there's a good spot for it.

5. reo73

reo73 Member

I don't know what all those pedals are exactly but here is my rule of thumb...

Wah first. Compression into boosts/ODs next. Then your modulation based effects such as chorus, phase, flange, etc. Then Delay. Last reverb. An EQ can be inserted anywhere and will give different results depending on where you put it. Get the tuner before any effects also so you dont have any gain or mod going into it.

If you use the dirty channel of your amp the delay may want to be in the effects loop. Some delays get nasty if before the gain.

6. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

this is where I would start...for me eq sounds better AFTER dirt but before modulation.

My chain is guitar-wah-compression-fuzz-low gain dirt-high gain dirt-eq-tuner-phase-flange-chorus-tremolo-delay-reverb-amp

7. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I heard the GT-10 has a Dumble preset as well as a John Mayer preset.

8. pgissi

pgissi Member

I see that no one puts the tuner 1st.

I like the tuner first for several reasons-
    its buffering

its not affected (and neither is your tone) by what precedes it when your tuning or in bypass (tuning with OD feeding the tuner may cause it to note respond as fast, jump around)

Other than that I like this generalized order

tuner
    Compressor
    wah & Vol pedals
    Higher Clip OD's
    Low Clip/Medium or High Gain Transparent Boosters
    Phasing/Flanging/Chorusing/Tremolo etc
    Delays
    Verbs

Having the compressor early on allows using it on anything from chicken picken squash to hi gain sustain with all the boxes that follow it especially for thick and syrupy vol pedal swells.

Chicken picked Wah with compressor squash is also off the beaten path

Having the Higher Clip OD's preceding the lower clip/cleaner and more transparent OD/Booster pedals tends to enhance the complex character of the high clip OD's when used in tandem. When they are reversed the High Clip OD's tend to squash more as they are hit harder at the input, for good or bad.

From there for me its phasing etc. post Od boxes which tends to enhance them (phasing types etc) more due to the increased harmomic content the OD's put out along with the gain bump. It can get a little swampy so its trial and error and for some, pre-od may be best.

Then there is delay and lastly reverb. For me delay precedes rev and for the most part i have delay on the floor and reverb in the loop for now, planning on adding the delay into the loop also using a blender so my dry tone path in the loop is preserved and the pedals can be fine tuned.

Keeping the OD's closer to the pups with miminal pedals before them seems to keep their noise level down and deliver the hottest signal to the input.

Also anything placed before a compressor will have the compressor bringing up the noise level of whatever precedes it.

I avoid EQ on the floor since it can add noise. The rule with EQ is less is more but it can kick up the gain in the chain if needed. I prefer it in my loop for a solo boost since by that time, its getting hit hard and can handle it since they are line level devices.

9. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I have to disagree with you. I was of the same thought process, untill I tried it at the end of my chain. It was like night and day. I'm not talking a subtle change.....but a very drastic and really noticable change. I'm using a TU2. The buffer it good, but it did have an effect on my signal.

Everyone is different though.

10. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Supporting Member

On certain days, I feel like I wanna line my pedals up and shoot them!

11. pgissi

pgissi Member

I also use the TU-2 and since its not a full bypass pedal its buffering whether 1st or last so I realized my criteria was more of how it will act next to other pedals, what precedes it. It does add some brightness which is typical for a buffer, its the first thing my pups see.

I have never tried it at the end but am always interested in discovering something new and will try it out.

There is sometimes interaction between adjacent pedals, which return different results for all. Others factors have to be considered also like high gain pups, high gain amp tone with mid or top end prominent speakers like a v30 etc., using a buffering pedal first may just pile on the sizzle if your already sizzled up.

I am using 2 Les Paul Customs, one with Pearly Gates and the other with Classic 57'S but all medium gain humbucks. I also use an SRV Strat, another low/medium gain guitar and a Floyd Rose DSOT and Ibanez RG450dx for the high gain stuff. Amp wise I am using a Rivera R30 into a 2x12 with somewhat flat sounding Carvin Vint 12's, slightly mid scooped and subdued highs.

This could be why the tuner first and the bright buffering work for me, my tone starts slightly dark and flat. I had V30's, too much mid and top, painful, dialing it out dialed out tone and gain. I have older Celest G12M70's, too loud, clean and bright, same thing. I like the WGS Classic Lead clones, smoother and more balanced without a mid/high spike too much

Pedal order is probably more influenced by what comes after and how its eq'ed than not.

Here is my actual pedal order and as you can see I dont have any buffering at the end of my chain and when I will add some time domain stuff it will be looped/blended and full bypass. I have a Dunlop Univibe, Envelope Follower and will get a tremolo, maybe flanger. Besides my current setup being scaled down, my reasoning is that buffering is not needed at the end post other pedals, dont want it coloring anything but the pup tone with its slight added brightness, very subtle. Adding more full bypass OD's is always on the list.

TU2 - Boss EH1 - Digitech Jimi Modeller - Beano - Rat - Mayer Mongoose - AC Booster

In the loop I use a Boss LS-2 line selector and run an older Boss DDS-3 Delay Sampler and RV3 Reverb in parallel and post the looper is a GE-7 EQ modded for remote switching to act as a boost, hitting the Output stage with more signal either dry or wet engaging the LS-2. The Rivera does not have a volume boost and he GE-7 works so nice.

Nevertheless, I am curious to hear if the TU-2 will render something different at the end of the chain.

One of my concerns at the end of any chain is the aggregate gain that is seen post all pedals, its can add up when several are on and an amps first tube pre-amp stage can handle it, headroom is available since the tube is a high voltage device.

With the 9volt TU-2 at the end, there is a chance of clipping through its buffer if it is seeing the aggregate gain of all pedals before it. You somtimes see 18 volt pedals, touting more headroom, its true and its provided by using the higher dc voltage to power the circuit.

The aggregate gain at the end of a pedal chain can raise the peak to peak ac signal, clipping a 9v powered device supply rails and this is somtimes desireable in an OD and is a certain sound and feel but not otherwise desired, may cause unpleasant distortions, like IM Distortion.

But I will try in the name of science

12. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks for all your thoughts folks. :)