• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

How would you make this bland black guitar prettier?

deceased

I’m a lefty too, so I know the painfully limited color options- not to mention model options in general.

From my perspective, I’m just glad to be able to get a neutral color. At least it’s not red or sunburst or butterscotch. I consider black to be a fortunate color to be able to get as a lefty. I really wanted to go for a payment plan on a new Ibanez RG550 but they only come in fluorescent yellow or red :(
I just wanted a black one.

I think your guitar looks sweet as is. All black is metal. I think silver covered pickups and silver knobs could liven it up a bit though. But at what point does it become less meaningful to have got a good deal on it if you’re spending money on upgrades?

G34RSLU7

I like what you said, pickups with white bobbins would look cool, not cream as it's too close to the maple neck.

I'm not a fan of any gold hardware and once it starts tarnishing it looks worse.
not a fan of gold either, think i'll go with white pickups/mounting rings and white or amber knobs/switch, that will look pretty kickass

G34RSLU7

I’m a lefty too, so I know the painfully limited color options- not to mention model options in general.

From my perspective, I’m just glad to be able to get a neutral color. At least it’s not red or sunburst or butterscotch. I consider black to be a fortunate color to be able to get as a lefty. I really wanted to go for a payment plan on a new Ibanez RG550 but they only come in fluorescent yellow or red :(
I just wanted a black one.

I think your guitar looks sweet as is. All black is metal. I think silver covered pickups and silver knobs could liven it up a bit though. But at what point does it become less meaningful to have got a good deal on it if you’re spending money on upgrades?
i'd love red, sunburst or butterscotch lol

"All black is metal" yeah that's what i don't like about it, i don't want my guitar to look metal :D

and i won't be spending much money on upgrades, i need new pickups for my other charvel anyway so it won't cost me extra to get white ones and put these into my other charvel, and new knobs won't cost anything either!

AltecGreen

Gold Supporting Member
Use gold hardware, exotic wood pickup covers, color match the headstock, and have some inlay work done on the body. Color match the headstock.

It can look like this Sugi bass.

Alan Wolf

Silver Supporting Member
I like black, but you could look at decoboom.com for a pickguard with a pattern on it. He does custom, which you’ll need with leftie and HH config. I think some of those designs could look great on the black body.

pepedede

not a fan of gold either, think i'll go with white pickups/mounting rings and white or amber knobs/switch, that will look pretty kickass

Sounds good. It's your call, but I wouldn't personally bother with mounting rings. In the picture it looks like it doesn't have them now. I like the look.

jrockbridge

I like the look of that guitar. I’d be happy with the way it looks and I don’t play metal.

I have a blue Parker Nitefly which came with a stock white pickguard. I ordered a black pickguard and swapped, it looks much better to me now. The pickups are now also black.

You could order a white pickguard for your black Charvel. That would dramatically change the look. The black and white tuxedo look is cool. You could even go perloid but that’s a dated look IMO. You could get whatever color pickguard you want, deep blue, and it would change the look a lot. Then, match knobs to the pickguard and you’ve got a very different look.

I like doing that kind of thing to personalize a guitar. I like the fact that my Nitefly with black pickguard, black knobs and black pickups looks different than the other blue Nitefly guitars out there.

P.S. I have a white, 2010, P90, Gibson 50’s Tribute LP that I bought new that year. The pickguard and pickup covers were Barbie beige. I hated that color plastic! I swapped all the Barbie colored parts for black plastic, pickguard, pickup covers and black top hot knobs with chrome tops to match chrome hardware. I love the look now and it’s not like the others from that year, so it’s unique to my personal taste.

Last edited:

johnsav

Nice guitar.
Choose a classy strap to match, IMO.
Deep burgundy or green fabric patterns maybe, nothing too colourful, not brown leather.
Gold strap locks.
Black guitars look best when they're polished a lot.

jvin248

Chrome pickup covers
Chrome volume and tone knobs, hat style not overly-chunky speed-knobs.
Chrome tuner knobs

Use pinstriping or wide tape to run one or a few stripes down the center of the guitar .. as if it's a neck-through design. From the strap pin to the neck.

JoeYello

Silver Supporting Member
That guitar looks killer.......I wouldn’t change a thing. Got a strap with some bling on it or buy a cool hat.....the guitar rocks!

Trending Topics