How would you make this bland black guitar prettier?

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
i could, but after looking at the mockups with different pickups and knobs i think it'll look fine
Did you try a mockup with nickel covers, nickel dome knobs and nickel fine tuner screws? Possibly a nickel vibrato handle and bridge posts.
thank you larry dimarzio for patenting double cream, i want SD JB/jazz in cream! :FM
You could use bobbin toppers.

Jim234

How about play it to death, sweat on it a lot and then it will start to look road worn. Then it will look cool... I don't go for the artificial road worn looks though.

I have 1 Gibson LP that is black, well actually it has a sparkle to the paint but you can only see it in certain light. It looks bland and boring, but it's my favourite guitar, the guitar I pick up everyday to play. Why would I change it?

FlyingVBlues

Platinum Supporting Member
thank you larry dimarzio for patenting double cream, i want SD JB/jazz in cream! :FM
I believe you can get double cream pickups from Seymour Duncan if you order them from the custom shop (http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/build-your-own-humbucker/). To get around the the DiMarzio trademark they have to be shipped with covers. If you order from Duncan they differentiate between white and cream (which I believe they call parchment). So if you order white you'll get white rather than cream.

Last edited:

G34RSLU7

I believe you can get double cream pickups from Seymour Duncan if you order them from the custom shop. To get around the the DiMarzio trademark they have to be shipped with covers. If you order from Duncan they differentiate between white and cream (which I believe they call parchment). So if you order white you'll get white rather than cream.
i'm not going to pay custom shop prices to get a different color of pickups, i'll just get zebra

micycle

Give it to Brian Setzer, he'll gussy it up for you! In the Stray Cats "Rumble in Brixton" DVD extras he grabs the nice new black Gretsch that gets used for the first few tunes of the show and gets right to work on it with a drill and decals.

Beto

Silver Supporting Member
I like how it looks.

Cream pickups (like the Dimarzio Super Distortion) matching the fretboard would look great.

scr@tchy

if you carve into the black paint the light colored wood will show. Make a picture either with the black as shading or the light wood tone

Dirty Tony

I bought this guitar because it fits my spec and was really cheap in mint condition, i'm a lefty so i really can't be picky about color, but the black on black just looks so bland.

any suggestions to cheer it up? i was thinking i could put white pickups in it instead and put these pickups in my other natural finish mahogany charvel which i was gonna put a JB trembucker in anyway.

maybe you guys have some other cool ideas? i had thought about having the paint stripped professionally but that would probably be really costy...

"age" the neck color to a very much warmer one, almost amber... leave all the rest untouched...

additional ideas:
gold metal knurled knobs
gold bridge
gold screws for HBs

mikebat

pickup covers or zebra humbuckers

The black Floyd limits your choices without a complete and spendy re-purchase of bridge, nut, tuners, knobs...

Trending Topics