How would you react if....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ceyuh, Jun 20, 2018.

1. ceyuh

ceyuh Gold Supporting Member

First, a little background:

I live in a community which has a very small (under 400) year round population; everyone pretty much knows everyone else. In the summer our population about quadruples, but since most of the influx is related to the families that have been here for generations, even if I don’t know a person I might run into first hand, it’s likely that I know generations of their family.

I had the day off today and the weather was spectacular. I took my favorite guitar —a Lowden that I’ve had for a dozen years— to the small lake down the road from my house and sat there at the edge of the water and gazed at the mountains while fingerstyling to the gentle breeze. Within 15 minutes or so an older couple approached with a medium sized dog. Now, I love dogs, so I was not alarmed in any way. The dog was inquisitive and bolted toward me. In its enthusiasm to greet me it jumped up and promptly gouged the cedar top of my Lowden with its front paw toe nails.

Needless to say, I was not pleased. I waited for the dog’s owners to catch up to their pup and recognized them as the son and daughter-in-law of an elderly widow here in town. They saw their dog “Frankie” jump up on me but from their vantage point didn’t know about the damage to my guitar. I told them about it and showed the result of Frankie’s exuberance to them but they didn’t have much to say except “we’re sorry”. I don’t think they believed me when I let them know what Lowden guitars cost because he’d “never heard of them”.

Their apparent indifference to my position pissed me off but I didn’t make a big deal about it because it’s not the first time the guitar has ever been dinged, and it’s surely not the last time either.

My friends however seem to think I should have insisted on some restorative relief from Frankie’s humans.

I’m curious to hear what TGP thinks about it.

Scrapperz likes this.
  2. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

If it ain’t the first ding and won’t be the last, I’d let it go. Or never take it in public. But either way, I wouldn’t make a big deal to the owners.

fjblair, derekd and ceyuh like this.
  3. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I wouldn't sweat it. Although if I had seen the dog coming I would've stood up and held the guitar out of range. I don't trust strange dogs that approach unwanted.

4. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Tough call. I would pay them visit and explain in detail what went down , the value of the instrument and why you would like to get compensation (in a polite, small town fashion). If they decide to to nothing then I would let it go-the tough part.
    I can only imagine the $hitstorm of small town drama if an incident report was filed or was taken to small claims.

Ncp10 and DrumBob like this.
  5. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

Dog inflicted Mojo will sweeten over time. Realistically, what can be done? Not really anything, beyond acceptance.

6. hellbender

hellbender Member

7. I am the Liquor

I am the Liquor Member

Was this area designated on leash or off leash? I would be pissed but I don't know what I could do about it at the end of the day. Unless there were signs saying dogs must be leashed. Then you may have some basis to seek compensation for damages. Even so, there doesn't sound like there were any witnesses to support your claim so you are likely Sol.

8. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I'm a dog lover, and I would put something like that down to fair wear and tear. Not quite as interesting as a bullet hole, but still a small conversation piece. FWIW, I don't think I would be sitting in the grass with a high value guitar in a public place. I'm not suggesting it is in any way your fault, but I do believe in reasonable precautions.

coltonius, el capitan and derekd like this.
  9. ceyuh

To be clear, I have no interest in pursuing the matter. It sucks, but to me it’s not worth losing sleep over. If it was a brand new pristine guitar I would probably feel differently.

I guess the reaction of some of my friends is what led me to seek the varied opinions of my brothers and sisters here at TGP.

derekd, time2kill and sundog964 like this.
  10. Brutus

Brutus Member

Consider the aftermath before you raise a stink. You’re putting that guitar at risk if you take out into an environment you can’t totally control, and if you saw that dog coming, you can make a case for you being somewhat careless. How much is arguable in proportion to the dog’s owners also being careless, and you also can’t control what happens afterwards if you do make an issue of it. Kind of a mess. Your call, though. Since it was dinged already, I don’t know. If it was me, I’d probably let it go to avoid a potential hassle that can be worse in terms of aggravation than any ding.

coltonius and Penguinchit like this.
  11. ceyuh

I was sitting on a granite memorial bench at the water’s edge, not in the grass. The dog circled around me so quickly I didn’t have time to protect the guitar.

12. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Fair enough, that makes it a darker shade of grey, but I think I would still let it go, especially in a small community.

coltonius likes this.
  13. ddeand

ddeand Supporting Member

I have a nice, vintage guitar that is so beat up that another scratch might add to its value. But I would never think of taking it outside where something might happen to it. That’s why I have a “campfire” guitar that is nicely set up. It can be tossed in the SUV and hauled around all over the place with no worries about damage. I feel for you - it’s tough to see your baby get damaged. Given your circumstances, I would probably let it go. Your friends who are recommending compensation really have nothing to lose by their suggestions. I think I’d let it go. And maybe pick up an inexpensive Ibanez Artwood or a Recording King for playing outside.

time2kill, ceyuh and Tony Done like this.
  14. ceyuh

I’m pretty fortunate; my avatar represents less than half of the guitars in my collection. Even though I’ve never had a problem before, next time I’ll take something less “special” to me.

derekd and ddeand like this.
  15. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have dogs. I love dogs but if you let them run loose, you have to be prepared for the consequences. Dog owners should pay up

Jimmy3Fingers, Timcito and doctorx like this.
  16. Rick51

Rick51 Member

I'd let it go. Stuff happens. Consider a cosmetic repair if it looks bad, stain and clear.

17. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

I'd contact them one time about it and let them know the situation. If nothing comes of it, then nothing comes of it. I grew up in a little touristy new England town, and the one thing people have that vacation places like that, is expendable cash

18. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

You took your guitar to the lake. All bets are off.

Lamby, Penguinchit, rizla and 4 others like this.
  19. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

You never know what can happen to a guitar when you take it out of the safety of your house. You accept the accountability for any risks once you do.

worxforme likes this.
  20. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

So, no leash law? Seriously, that sucks.

No matter that, based on the what happened when that kid fondled the $132k glass statue in Kansas, you should be suing the dog's insurance company for millions. :aok

But I had a similar experience with a nice Taylor years ago. I had literally just unboxed and opened the case of a (like new to me) Taylor 614ce, and after tuning it up I decided I would take it outside to sit and play by the fire pit behind our house. Within about 10 minutes of me sitting down —and before I realized what was happening— my then 7 yo son came running right at me and threw a small stick that nailed the front lower bout of my 614ce, putting a nice matchstick size ding in the wood.

I tried to sue him, but that didn't work out. But since then on I've only taken my Seagull outside for the fireside jams!